capturing Ch2 audio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old November 4th, 2002, 11:47 AM   #1
Regular Crew

capturing Ch2 audio

Hi all!

I am trying to capture the audio I have on Ch.2 only from my XL1 via firewire into Premiere. I cannot figure out how to do it? I looked in the manual and cannot seem to find the answer. How is this done? Thanks!

-SL
SammyLeopold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2002, 01:27 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Haven't used Premier's capture so I'm not sure if it can even do it (I suspect not), most recommendations I see are for Scenalyzer Live. Does ch2 capture, scene detection, etc, for $50.

http://www.scenalyzer.com
Brian M. Dickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2002, 02:59 PM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

Not only can Scenalyzer ($33) capture channel 2, it can also capture Video and channel 1 into an .avi file while simultaneously capturing channel 2 into a .wav file - all over firewire IN ONE PASS(you have to ask the author for the latest beta version).
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2002, 07:30 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I don't undertand then, how is one supposed to get Ch.2 audio off of thier tape? What is the point of having Ch.2 audio if I have to get another application to extract it?

Thanks,
-SL
Old November 5th, 2002, 08:32 AM   #5
Wrangler

You will have to ask Adobe. There have been only a few NLEs that have supported Canon 4-track. Vegas Video is another popular NLE that does not support 4-track either.

Scenalyzer is a program that users of the NLEs use to capture the sub channels.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2002, 08:51 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Is there a way to get it off the tape in analog format as a .wav and then I can import it into my NLE program?

Thanks!
-SL
Old November 5th, 2002, 12:57 PM   #7
Sponsor: JET DV

Yes, run a wire from your camera to the input jack of your sound card. Start an audio editing program and tell it to record the signal from the input jack. Press play on the camera. When done, the sound editing program can then save the captured audio as a .wav file. HOWEVER, you have now gone from digital to analog and back to digital and must rely on the quality of those components.

IMO, $33 is NOT a lot to spend in order to capture the second channel via firewire - especially given the fact that you can now capture video + channel 1 into an .avi file while simultaneously capturing channel 2 into a .wav file that, when added to the NLE, will be in perfect sync if you start them both at the same point in the NLE.

BTW, 4 channel input has been requested for the next version of Vegas Video. I just don't know if they will add it.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog