Sound level tweakage within a project at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old November 21st, 2002, 03:32 AM   #1
Slash Rules!

Sound level tweakage within a project

Are there some general rules or guidelines about sound levels? What I mean is, dialogue as related to sound effects as related to music and room tone, etc. (If dialogue is at 0 db, then SFX are at ___ db).

Also, I recorded some of my sound myself with an ME66, some too high, some really low. Some sounds are from findsounds.com Is there an easy way to equalize everything and get it to, um, line level, as they say? Or do I just have to go through each effect manually and tweak it.

I have Sound Forge, and am editing with Vegas Video 3.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2002, 06:05 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Josh,

I asked this same question about a week ago and never got a response. If you've seen the short film I just finished, "Shadow," these are the settings I used with FCP:

Dialogue: between -10 and -5
Room tone: between -22 and -15
Music: between -11 and -15
Loud noises (explosions): -3

From the comments I've received, the dialogue needs to be pumped up a bit more and the explosions need to come down (they cause a popping sound on good audio equipment). I'll try to remix the audio soon with dialogue set between -7 and -3, and then loud noises at about -5 or slightly more.

Hope this helps. Like I said, I never got a response to my question, but I'd really like to know what settings others use.
Old November 21st, 2002, 08:48 AM   #3
Regular Crew

There is as far as I know no specific rules whan it comes to the relationship between music-sfx and speech within a programme. What you have to look out for is the loudness of your product. European standards says max. peak at 6 PPM, '0'-level at 4 PPM (for us -18, in the states it is -20 if my memory serves me right)

Place the levels for speech first (and level them correctly) and add the other elemets afterwards and level them to what feels right.

There is a bit more about PPMs on
http://homerecording.about.com/gi/dy...p%2Dmeter.html

Hope I made some sense....

Jon
Old November 21st, 2002, 01:11 PM   #4
Slash Rules!

Thanks. I'll look it up. It's all very confusing. What I've been doing is getting the sounds to just before they start clipping, and then leaving them there.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2002, 04:51 PM   #5
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Josh Bass : Thanks. I'll look it up. It's all very confusing. What I've been doing is getting the sounds to just before they start clipping, and then leaving them there. -->>>

As I mentioned today, talk with Mark Austin. He should be able to steer you in the right direction.
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2003, 02:49 PM   #6
Regular Crew

sound levels

I used to use -20 as my max level for recording dialog, but found that it was just way too down....now I use -10 and I have an easier time mixing in sound beds with voice over levels set there. As far as -5 is concerned, that is dangerously close to crunch at that point.....with out any compression, you stand a chance of over-driving , and you can NEVER go over 0DB with digital audio.....I'd always rather err on the side of caution...you can always bring it up in post, and digital has so little hiss in the noise floor, you dont loose much by having to do that....by the way, when I rip CD's for audio, I also always reduce the loudness by 6DB.....
Old February 15th, 2003, 04:32 PM   #7
Regular Crew

This is a bit off track, but might be helpful...someone suggested taking down the 1khz area of any background sound or music that overlays any vocal part of a sound track. Doing this allows you to keep the ambient sound/music at a louder level relative to speech while allowing you to still hear what is being said. I tried it in post and it seems to help in certain cases.
Old February 15th, 2003, 05:41 PM   #8
Regular Crew

1 KHZ notch

that seems to make sense since presence boost on most VO is between 1 and 5 KHZ, and is supposed to make VO cut through the mix better...
Old February 16th, 2003, 08:28 AM   #9
Wrangler

How about someone capture the sound from a good profesisonal tape (e.g., a good rental) and analyse the levels.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog