Shoting Slow motions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old December 13th, 2001, 12:41 AM   #1
Michael C.Y Thong

Shoting Slow motions

Hi guys,

I'm recently shoting an indie-movie with my PAL XL1s and wondering to shot a slow motion scene.
As in 35mm that's a way to do that which speed up the film reeling when shooting, say 48fps, and when u play it with normal
speed (24fps) you'll get the slow motion effect.
I'm kinda wondering if can do the same way with my XL1,

Thanx

KL Malaysia,
Michael Thong
Old December 13th, 2001, 08:00 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Howdy from Texas,

It's not possible to overcrank or undercrank (change the recording speed) of any DV camcorder. This effect is acheived in the editing stage.

I use the Canopus DVRex RT for editing video (see www.justedit.com) -- Canopus has a free utility which works only with their editors called Spped Controller. It produces the smoothest fast motion and slow motion video I've ever seen.

I like to call it "Peckinpah style" slow motion, but not too many people get the reference these days. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2001, 05:22 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Chris-- How smooth is that slow motion video? At half speed is it just running 15 frames per second? On the Mac, if I want a slow motion effect, I just export the Quicktime into uncompressed frames, duplicate each frame by duplicating the folder it saved in, and then just pile them all into QuickMovie which reassembles the Quicktime which is now a 15 frame per second slow motion. It's smooth, but it still is only 15 frames per second. Does your method interpolate? Also does it work in frames instead of fields?

Also, I hope your DV card is better than a real dinosaur, since all they do nowadays is fossilize. How boring. Actually I know Canopus DOES make good cards, I just think that their product names make them sound cheap or like knock-offs... trying to appeal to kids.

Last edited by Joe Redifer; December 13th, 2001 at 05:35 PM.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog