Manual or auto focus ...... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old October 12th, 2005, 08:15 AM   #1
Major Player

Manual or auto focus ......

Which do you use and find works best on your XL1s with the standard 16x lens.

Mine in auto focus runs out and in of focus alot and i end up using the manual focus all of the time, is this a common problem or is there some way of adjusting this setting in the menu?

Many thanks
Paul
Paul Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2005, 06:13 PM   #2
Major Player

I have always used manual everything.I'm just used to doing this with all cameras I use(d).I find it gives much better control and consistency.
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2005, 06:21 PM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Gallagher
is there some way of adjusting this setting in the menu?
No. If you're shooting in "A" or the "green box" mode, you will see the focus hunting.
Old October 13th, 2005, 04:24 AM   #4
Major Player

Yes Lorinda,
I always use the (A) mode for speed really, I suppose I should get use to using the full manual mode, does the auto focus do the same in this mode.
I would usually try and use manual all of the time because of this problem but when zooming through a chapel full at a Wedding party i would switch the auto on then.
Old October 13th, 2005, 09:45 AM   #5
Wrangler

Sounds like you're doing it right for the conditions you describe, Paul. People like me never learned to take full advantage of all this camera does to make life easier. When you're in "A" the camera will automatically focus for you, yet you have the option of using manual functions.

And to answer your question (I think it was a question!) if you're shooting in Manual mode and switch to autofocus on the lens, it will take over for you. How cool is that!

So are you shooting in "A" and using the focus switch on your lens-- switching to manual focus when you need it, then switching back to auto?
Old October 14th, 2005, 02:26 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton

So are you shooting in "A" and using the focus switch on your lens-- switching to manual focus when you need it, then switching back to auto?
Yes, this is what I tend to do and if it seem a little out I use the "Push AF" button just to be sure. But When on auto if I am sitting stationary on the tripod on for example someone doing a reading and it was switched onto auto on the lens it would just take a notion on hunting for focus even though the person is almost still. That's why I use the maual lens setting as much as possible, but at times its not right.

If you are looking down the aisle of a chapel for the bride to walk up you have to zoo in on her and keep the lens on auto as she walks toward you or keep using the "Push AF" button until she reaches the top as the auto focus is so unpredictable.

This is the only fault I have found with camera as for everything else it works great and I love my camera.

Paul
Old December 1st, 2005, 04:02 PM   #7
Major Player

which is now mine :)
David J. Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 04:27 PM   #8
Major Player

Yes it is, and I think you'll agree with me David its an astounding camera with great picture and audio quality.

Paul
Old December 2nd, 2005, 04:16 PM   #9
Major Player

yes yes and yes! Thanks for all your help and a very smooth sale, I'd highly recommend Paul if you see his name crop up in the classifieds section in future.
David J. Payne is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog