Eject! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old November 25th, 2005, 09:47 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Eject!

damn, my xl-1 is getting ill. as i insert a tape into the recorder, it starts to read from the tape and then the "EJECT" announciator goes off in the viewfinder and the power button starts to flash. i cannot do anything with the tape. i can't even record.

what should I do? i did a search through old threads and found out that running a cleaner tape through the mechanism fixed this kind of problem for some - however, we always clean the heads "by hand" and i did the same in my case, but it didn't help a bit.

any ideas?
Rok Furman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2005, 09:55 AM   #2
Inner Circle

When you say you cleaned the heads by 'hand'. Do you mean to say you ran a swab over the heads on the drum? That's a risky thing to do... as the heads of a MiniDV are so sensitive to allignment, the pressure from a hand cleaning COULD ( I emphasize COULD) mis-allign them.

You could try and run a cleaning tape through anyway, at this point I doubt you can hurt it with a tape cleaning. IF that doesn't help, it's off to Canon.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2005, 03:14 PM   #3
Regular Crew

canon's gonna charge me a lot for the servicing - if it isn't a problem of the heads it could be a much greater problem and anything involving opening the camera should be pretty expensive.

is there a list of common malfunctions that can be related to the EJECT error? such as for example, failure of which element in the tape mechanism is known to cause it.
i could check through these known elements at home, before sending the cam to canon.

anyway, i'll try a different tape tomorrow and we'll see - if it doesn't work, i'll check with a friend who's a real surgeon for any camera's intestines... if he doesn't know what to do, i guess canon really is the only solution for me.

uu, and by the way! how much does a used FireStore hard drive recorder for the XL-1 cost? what's the lowes price for, lets say, the 40GB version? just in case :)
Rok Furman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2005, 06:41 PM   #4
Fred Retread

Rok,
Two guys report success with the following treatment on GL2s. The problem is reputed to appear across model lines, so maybe the fix will too.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...t=42822&page=8

Fred
Old November 29th, 2005, 02:03 PM   #5
Regular Crew

i finally found the time and tried a different tape. i went down to the studio and loaded some professional tape from JVC (the kind of casette that doesn't have the chip that stores timecode) and the cam worked with no problems whatsoever. it seems the cam just doesn't like Sony's tape anymore.

thanks for the info though, i'm sure it'll come in handy someday
Rok Furman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog