Time Code Breaks after Shut-Down at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old April 4th, 2006, 09:51 AM   #1
Tourist

Time Code Breaks after Shut-Down

I occasionally have a timecode break after I power down the camera. It happens around 5% of the time. It's a problem because it creates a lot of confusion when I log and capture into the computer. To work around it I always shoot a few seconds of extra video before I power the camera down, and when I power it back on I roll back to ensure I have timecode continuity before I record again. This wastes time and I miss some shots because of it. Anyone else having the same problem or any idea how to avoid? Thanks.
Nick Chevrefils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2006, 10:06 PM   #2
Major Player

I've been accustom to overshooting 5 seconds for years, so that is what I do.I actually do it after every shot whether I'm powering down or just in stop.When I power down ,I generally shoot a few seconds with the lense cap on before powering down.This gives a definite scene change and does allow me to roll back a second for time code continuity. I think it's pretty much standard practice.
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2006, 11:20 PM   #3
Tourist

Thanks Jack.. My issue isn't the rolling extra seconds before shutdown. It's having the timecode break when I power back up and record again and the process of having to roll back every time to eliminate the risk of the break.
Old April 5th, 2006, 04:27 AM   #4
Wrangler

You should be able to spot a pending time code break from the time code in the EVF. If it is zero, you hve a break, if not zero there should not be a break. It is most likely to occur if the tape is removed from the camcorder between shoots, or if you preview the a scene.

Using the REC SEARCH (- bitton) is probably the fastest way to move the tape back to a point prior to end of the recording, and when this is successful you should see non-zero timecode in the EVF.
Old April 5th, 2006, 09:14 AM   #5
Tourist

Thanks Don... I realize that resetting to zero means a timecode break. What I'm trying to find out is if others have this situation. I do roll back into the timecode if it's broken. The problem is that this takes extra time that sometimes means a missed shot.
Old April 5th, 2006, 11:31 PM   #6
Major Player

Nick, I see what your result problem is.I'm wondering how your running into this ,though.As in what are shooting that you need to powerup and start recording immediatly? As I have not had any problem with TC breaks because when on a shoot I normally don't power down except during a big break.I would only stop the camera as opposed to pause or shutting down.
After a big break,I would always have enough time to run through the setup to check WB,audio,refocus,etc. so at that time a check of TC isn't an issue.
Would going into "stop" solve your issue?
Jack Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog