Steven Soderbergh uses PAL or NTSC version of XL1S for his new film? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old January 23rd, 2002, 11:26 PM   #16
Max Radium

you still can choose PAL ,whereever you live

only have to shoot by frame.
image still good..
Old January 25th, 2002, 03:40 AM   #17
Obstreperous Rex

Re: Soderbergh article: I have all my notes, tried to finish it before I came to VideoMaker Expo, now I'm trying to update the site from here but no net access for FTP'ing with my laptop from the room, just stuck reading the web from the business center. So, as soon as I get home, I guess.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2002, 01:03 AM   #18
dtnelson66

I've read through all of these listings and seen that no one has responded to the initial question aout the format used by Soderberg in "Full Frontal" - As far as I know he was using an NTSC camera right out of the box (he wants the amaturish video look). I'm about 85% certain of that.

Derrick
Old March 11th, 2002, 10:22 AM   #19
Major Player

Since he wants the "amaturish video look", does he use it in fully automatic mode?
Dan C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2002, 10:51 AM   #20
Obstreperous Rex

Okay, rest assured he was definitely shooting in PAL, this is from Tim Smith at Canon USA who procured the PAL cameras for him and was on the set for most of the shoot. Again, Full Frontal was shot in PAL. As to the look of the video, no telling what he's done to it with Final Cut Pro until we actually see the film in theaters in August.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2002, 01:58 PM   #21
dtnelson66

Well your source is definitely better than mine, so I'll trust it. ; )

I'm to hear he's using FCP - that I had heard hints of, but nothing definite.
Old May 23rd, 2002, 10:52 PM   #22
Wrangler

Gents:

I am currently renting some gear to "Solaris", the latest Soderbergh film, and have spent a bit of time hanging in the camera truck chatting with his "B" camera operator who is also shooting some behind-the-scenes footage of the production (on a stock XL1s, natch). I'm probably heading over there again in a week or two, so if you have a list of questions still unanswered about "Full Frontal" I may be able to get them answered right at the source...fire away...
Old May 24th, 2002, 08:46 AM   #23
Danny Viescas

Full Frontal

Here are some details about his production:
http://www.apple.com/hotnews/articles/2002/04/fullfrontal/fullfrontal4.html

As Chris said, he did shoot pal.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog