external mics at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old June 26th, 2006, 12:16 PM   #1
Regular Crew

external mics

I have two c1000 akg mikes connected to the XLR connections in the back but the output is incredibly low. What's the deal? I've tried everything! All the levels are all the way up and the mics are really hot anyway.

Do we have to have a preamp or something?
Jonathan Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 12:37 PM   #2
Wrangler

Yes, there is no phantom power supplied by the MA-100 adapter XLR inputs. The little power plug on the MA-100 powers the built in pre-amp. I saw in another thread that you have a couple XL-2 cameras. The XL-2 does supply phantom power from the XLR jacks so you might want to switch cameras.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 04:04 PM   #3
Wrangler

Is this the AKG C1000S with a 9 volt battery options? If so I presume your are using fresh batteries.

Are you using a MA-100 or other XLR adapter? If the MA-100, is it powered by the camcorder? And connected to teh Audfio 1 input jack?

Have you set the Audio 1 input sensitivity to MIC or MIC ATT level from the menu? (The default setting onthe XL1 is Line Level.)
Old June 26th, 2006, 07:30 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Yes, fresh batteries and yes into audio 1, yes on the mic att (tried it both ways). Not sure what the adapter is but we ALSO tried using a cord that goes from XLR to the audio 1 input format (whatever that is) but that didn't work either.

I'm really confused. I've tried these mics on another XL1 and it had the same problem.
Old June 27th, 2006, 03:54 AM   #5
Wrangler

Based on the published specs, the AKG C1000 should work with the XL1, provided you hava a suitable XLR adapter.

Can you describe in great detail exactly how you are connecting it to the XL1 and what all the XL1 settings are?

What was the source of the adapter cable you used?
Old June 28th, 2006, 02:39 PM   #6
Regular Crew

all I know is that it's a canon accessory. It came with teh camera when he got it off ebay
Old June 29th, 2006, 04:35 AM   #7
Wrangler

Do other mics work OK with the Canon and adapter you are using?
Do the AKGs work OK with a PA system that does not provide phantom power?

Sounds like they are your mics and someone elses camcorder.
Old July 2nd, 2006, 05:46 PM   #8
Regular Crew

THat's right they are my mics and they work fine I use them for everything. We haven't tried any other mics on his XLR adapter as we have no other mics.
Old July 5th, 2006, 07:20 PM   #9
Wrangler

Try with another known, good mic, and see what the results are. If the camera audio works otherwise, likely either a problem with the adapter, or the setup.
Old July 6th, 2006, 11:04 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Grasping at straws...is the 3.5mm plug from the XLR adapter plugged into the Xl1 power jack that's next to the audio 1 jacks on the camera's handle?
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2006, 04:42 PM   #11
Wrangler

Actually, it is a 2.5 MM sub-mini phone plug on the MA-100 and XL1. It is the +5 VDC source to power the MA-100 (or MA-200). And the RCA leads must also be connected to the same XL1 for the MA-100 to be powered.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog