FireWire problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old June 30th, 2006, 03:46 AM   #1
New Boot

FireWire problem

Hello,

since last week, I can't transfer any footage shot with my XL1s from camera to pc through FireWire. I tried several cables, even different pc's, without result. So the problem should be inside the camera itself. Any idea what this problem is, what has caused it and is it easy(cheap) or expensive to repair?

Thanks
Ruben Vandepitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2006, 03:59 AM   #2
Wrangler

Possibly the connector/jack at the camcorder is broken? The mini firewire connecters are not very robust and it could have been broken by excessive torque or stress placed on it or on an attached cable. I have no idea as to the repair cost.
Old June 30th, 2006, 02:14 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I've just had a replacement DV port fitted to my XL1s. Cost £40 GBP. I moved the camera without unplugging the cable (*idiot moment*) the pins on the connectors are VERY delicate. By the way, Canon service agent advised me I was 'lucky' as they have had lots of units in where the firewire cable has been disconnected without switching off the camera and this has caused the main board to blow - Cost to replace £400 GBP, (*Phew*).
Carl Barlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2006, 03:11 PM   #4
Inner Circle

The XL1 seems to be notorious for issues with firewire port. I have a brother who killed a friends, then his own when using the XL1.
Old June 30th, 2006, 04:16 PM   #5
Wrangler

I don't know that I quite agree with the statement that this camera is notorious for firewire port problems; I've used two of them since 2001 and 2002 with no problems. UNTIL NOW!

Just recently, when I'm working through one of the cameras on an external monitor, the picture blinks five times, then runs okay for 75 seconds, then blinks five times, etc. Darndest thing I've ever seen. I tried switching cables but it's the same.

Off to Canon Service it goes; it'll be interesting to see what it costs here in the States to get the port replaced.

Good luck with yours, Ruben. :)
Old June 30th, 2006, 04:31 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton
I don't know that I quite agree with the statement that this camera is notorious for firewire port problems; I've used two of them since 2001 and 2002 with no problems. UNTIL NOW!

Just recently, when I'm working through one of the cameras on an external monitor, the picture blinks five times, then runs okay for 75 seconds, then blinks five times, etc. Darndest thing I've ever seen. I tried switching cables but it's the same.

Off to Canon Service it goes; it'll be interesting to see what it costs here in the States to get the port replaced.

Good luck with yours, Ruben. :)
Lorinda,

Sorry to hear that you have problem. I hope it gets fixed quickly and inexpensively. I do agree that it is not this big issue with canon. Have had two XL1s's and now an XL2 and an XL1s and never a problem.

Remember for every problem you hear about, there are thousands who never have any problems.

Good luck to all----Mike
Old July 2nd, 2006, 01:16 AM   #7
New Boot

Is it possibly that the main board is blown, like Carl Barlow said, when besides the FireWire problem the camera works perfectly? I guess the best thing for me to do is just send it to Canon Support Center.

Thanks for your help!
Ruben Vandepitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2006, 12:56 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Ruben....

If you've tried a combination of cables/computers/capture software and you can't transfer the footage, sounds like it could be the DV socket. If everything else on the camera is functioning OK, its unlikely the main board has blown out.

Definately a trip to Canon service i'd say.
Carl Barlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2006, 12:05 AM   #9
Wrangler

Correction!

Boy, was I wrong. Apparently, a wireless Internet adapter (never in use but still trying to connect, I guess) was causing trouble with my system. The camera is working fine--just wanted to set the record straight.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog