Getting two audio channels on XL1S at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old July 6th, 2006, 09:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Getting two audio channels on XL1S

I have a pageant gig this weekend, and I will be running my audio 1 sound through my XLR imputs on the back of the camera into the sound board, and I also want to run my on-board microphone at the same time but capture it on a separate audio track so I can have something to fall back to if I have soundboard problems...how can I do this?? I noticed that on the camera, there is an input switch for audio 1 / microphone and I don't think I can capture both?? What can I do??
Thanks
Dean
Dean Orewiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2006, 04:01 AM   #2
Wrangler

You can use 4 channel mode. This is 32 kHz sample rate, 12-bit audio, nets to about FM radio quality sound. You would leave the onbord mic where it is and connect the XLR adapter output to Audio 2 inputs.

Set the system for 4-channel audio using the menu, and be sure to set the Audio 2 input sensitivity appropriately. If using the MA-100 or MA-200, be sure the input from the soundboard is at MIC level. (Line level will distort/clip.)

You can set the headphone/meter to monitor audio 1, audio 2 or both mixed.

Practice this well before the shoot to be sure you get it right and have time to work it out if at first it doen not work. You will need capture software that can cope with 4-chanel audio as well, or have a work-around in mind. This is addressed is several other threads here.
Old July 7th, 2006, 06:05 AM   #3
Regular Crew

thanks Don...I'm learning about this camera slowly but surely with the help of you guys. Have a great week.
Dean
Dean Orewiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2006, 11:13 AM   #4
New Boot

thank you

I had a similar question in mind (sans ma-100/200) earlier today... and then this thread appeared. many thanks to you both
Scott Blajszczak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog