My new favorite XL1 accessory - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old June 14th, 2002, 03:35 PM   #46
Regular Crew

I posted my initial impressions of working in the field with the NEB 70 Li on my site. The link is:

http://home.attbi.com/~DVfilmmaker/Diary26.htm

This was a smart investment for me =)
J. Cody Lucido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2002, 04:35 PM   #47
Wrangler

Ken:

That's really good to know, I wasn't aware of that about the Panasonic. Now if there was a low-cost frameline generator that could be set to show the TV safe parameters within that display, or duplicate the 16:9 framelines indicated in the XL1s viewfinder...they can be had but for around $1000, not ideal.

There's an unfortunate amount of guesswork to be had when framing with the XL1. The color viewfinder overscans, the black and white underscans and doesn't give you TV safe guides like the broadcast viewfinders (which for the price, it really should...). At least with an outboard LCD like the Panasonic you can mark them on the face with a grease pencil or water-soluble marker.
Old June 14th, 2002, 04:51 PM   #48
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Using a frameline generator with the Panasonic monitor could be challenging since the monitor features several push-button display modes: 4:3, 16:9, zoom (fills the screen) and "just" (similar to zoom).

I think your mark-it-yourself solution might be the best. You might be able to use overlay sheets (commonly used to protect pda screens from wear) to avoid damaging the screen. They'll dull the image just a bit but they'd ultimately save damage to the coated screen. Sounds like a good rainy-day project, since I think I may have some in a drawer.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2002, 06:05 PM   #49
Wrangler

Not to be contrary, my esteemed colleague Mr. T., but yet I must! The frameline generator goes inline between the source and the monitor, so the video on the display will contain the framelines and thus resizing will affect both equally. Drawing on the monitor face means that as soon as the zoom function is used, the lines become useless.

Also, I would hazard a guess that the overlay sheets may create reflection issues outdoors--but that is a much better suggestion than drawing on the face of the display, shame on me. I'm used to doing that on CRT's, the glass faces can take it better.
Old June 14th, 2002, 09:14 PM   #50
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

You've certainly the right to be contrary Mr. P. I di'nt know ding-dong about a frameline generator. (But have since learned a bit more.) Also, indeed, drawing on the screen (or overlays) would only work if you kept the display mode set to, say, 4:3. (BTW you're also right on the overlay idea; it stinks. I've since tried one on the screen.)

Ideally, I suppose it would be handy to be able to connect the monitor (any monitor) into the same signal fed to the viewfinder. It makes me wonder why the camera doesn't offer this feature. It also makes me wonder if some type of adapter/splitter couldn't be fashioned for that purpose. Hey, where's Don Palomaki with that XL1 service manual?....

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog