My new favorite XL1 accessory at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old January 19th, 2002, 01:02 AM   #1
Regular Crew

My new favorite XL1 accessory

I'm suprised no one has ever brought this up, but I just bought the nebtek monitor for my XL1 and this thing rocks! Much better than any flip-out monitor that I've ever seen. This thing works in direct sunlight. Not to mention that it just looks cool on the XL1, it commands respect from actors. Does anyone else have this? and if so, why didn't you tell me?
Justin Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2002, 01:30 AM   #2
TruProductions

Whats the web address of the Nebtek monitor? Im interested :)
Old January 19th, 2002, 01:35 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Looks like this is it, but I didn't pay that much, so maybe this is the wrong one, or maybe they lowered the price from that listed on the website. I paid $495 plus $30 for the ball mount.
http://www.nebtek.com/5inch/NEB50Xl%20page.html
Old January 19th, 2002, 01:02 PM   #4
gratedcheese

Dr:

The Nebtek looks interesting. How does the monitor look in daylight; ie., does it wash out?

Also, do you primarily use it to check focus; or, do you use it as your primary viewfinder?

-- Alan
Old January 19th, 2002, 01:15 PM   #5
Trustee

Perhaps this is the one you purchased

http://www.nebtek.com/5inch/neb50.html

I'd love to hear about the quality of the image on this monitor. I just recently purchased a glidecam unit and went with their monitor. It is extremely contrasty, fuzzy, and impossible to get remotely close on color balance.. Others have expressed similar opinions about their remote LCDs. Do you feel that the image is is as good as say the flip out on the gl1 or similar camera.

Also do you have a handle on battery usage with the canon batteries?

thanks
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2002, 03:13 PM   #6
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

The ability to use a Canon battery looks most interesting to me. My Varizoom is supplied with a brick of a battery that feels like it could jump-start a Hummer.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2002, 09:36 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Q: The Nebtek looks interesting. How does the monitor look in daylight; ie., does it wash out?

A: That's the amazing thing about this is you can still see an image in direct sunlight. I'm not kidding... no clouds, bright sun high in the sky, shining directly on the monitor you can still make out images on the monitor. You don't need a hood for it. That was one of the major selling points for me.

Q: do you primarily use it to check focus; or, do you use it as your primary viewfinder?

A: Right now I use it as the primary viewfinder. I bought it as an alternative to shelling out the big bucks for a black and white viewfinder. The only time I look in the viewfinder is to check if there is any zibra overexposure. Seems like everything else I need appears in the monitor except the zibra.

Q: Perhaps this is the one you purchased Neb 50 Pro with Lithium Ion battery clip.

A: Yeah, I think your right, thanks. Be sure to get the ball mount for $30 so you can adjust, turn, and tilt the monitor in any position you want.

Q: I'd love to hear about the quality of the image on this monitor... Do you feel that the image is is as good as say the flip out on the gl1 or similar camera?

A: I've only delt with the GL1 once, if I recall the flip out monitor was much smaller. I consider the image quality very good. I just adjust the color and brightness to match the color and brightness of what is in the viewfinder. So, I haven't had any problems in that respect.
Old January 23rd, 2002, 03:50 PM   #8
psteinman

yech prices

Nebtek has the Pansonic TC-7WMS1 7" monitor for sale for $200 over the manufacturer sugested retail price and $250 more then you can buy it from any retailer. Thats just for the stock monitor from Panasonic as found anywhere. Add thier "Pro" box to the stock monitor and your paying $500 for a few connectors and a regulator that lets you use 24v. Want to use the Canon battery ? Thats only $100 more on top of that. Only reason I can see to buy from Nebtek is if your afraid of soldering iron. They just tack a box with connectors on to exsisting LCD monitors and charge a ton for it.
Old April 16th, 2002, 02:35 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Spoke to Chris (ZGC) today and asked for her opinion regarding the Nebtek-vs-Varizoom. Without a doubt...Nebtek!

At NAB, they had a demo of the various on-camera monitors with a light facing directly into each one. The Nebtek, apparently, had the biggest light on it. The others failed, whereas the Nebtek could be seen clearly, even from a long distance.

Check price with Chris, almost the same as Varizoom.

Silver Reflections
guypringle@yahoo.com
+27(0)83 256 8566
Guy Pringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2002, 12:11 PM   #10
Regular Crew

panasonic?

Hey psteinman,

Where do you get this 7" panasonic? I did a search on yahoo and theres nothing.

Nevermind, I cut and pasted your post and realized it was missing an "A".

Anyway, can you suggest a place that has all those connectors, because I'm willing to solder stuff together for a better res monitor.
ja135321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2002, 06:21 PM   #11
Regular Crew

fill us in, I'm quite comfy with iron.
Kairat Salikhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2002, 09:15 PM   #12
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Nebtek offers a do-it-yourself kit that enables you to convert your lcd monitor to use a standard Canon battery. Visit the newbtek.com site for details.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2002, 03:10 PM   #13
NEBTEK

It's not really a "do-it yourself" kit. NEBTEK sells the Li-battery adapter as a stand alone unit ($100). You have to be handy with a soldering iron, and know your circuitry cards to identify the correct pin-out for the power supply. Or you can send it to them and they will mount it to an existing monitor for $35 more.
Old April 22nd, 2002, 06:41 PM   #14
Regular Crew

My Nebtek 50XL can use any Canon standard battery right out of the box. I have a few 915's just for that purpose, keeps the weight down. Works great in most situations.
Old May 22nd, 2002, 06:10 PM   #15
Inndesign

Lowest Price I Found

I've heard nothing but good about the NEBTEK. I found it priced lowest ($437 for everything including swivel mount) at the below URL. Ordering it today.

http://www.zgc.com/html/nebtek_5_inch_monitor.html

Varizoom is OK with the sunhood option, but forget it if you want to shoot from the shoulder. The battery is a monster. The pixel count is a little less the the NEBTEK as well.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog