Sony WCS 999 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 14th, 2003, 02:48 PM   #1
New Boot

Sony WCS 999

I am pretty much a newby when it comes to external audio on my XL1s so pardon my lack of knowledge. I recently purchased a Sony WCS 999 camera mountable wireless lavalier system. I went with the cheapest alternative as I am just experimenting at this point.

Here is my problem. The WCS 999 receiver output is a monaural minijack. I can setup the camera for 16 bit audio 1 from the mic, and plug the minijack into the mic jack on the camera (minijack connection) and get decent audio through the camera albeit monaural. I used an adapter/spiltter to RCA out cable and attempted to run the input through the Audio 1 input at the back of the camera and get a VERY weak signal. I have the audio 1 set for LINE and have cranked the level all the way up but bearly get audio if at all. Have tried the same with audio 2 with same results.

I figure either my splitter is bad, or the output of the receiver is just too weak and/or very possibly I just don't know what I am doing.

Finally, when I am ready to spend money for a decent wireless lav system suitable for weddings, etc, what should I buy? I would like to be able to handle two transmitters and preferrably have the entire setup be camera mountable. I would also like to spend less than $1000 if possible. Maybe I am dreaming?

Thanks in advance for any advice and assistance
Eric Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2003, 05:39 PM   #2
Warden

Change the audio 1 input from LINE to MIC. Line is for devices like VCR's, CD players etc. This is set on the outside of the camera behind the white door. If the level is still off, check the menu settings in the viewfinder.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2003, 07:11 PM   #3
Wrangler

The general level setting for Audio 1 input is from the menu. Choices are line (-11 dBV), MIC ATT (-35 dBV) and MIC (-55 dBV).

The switch behind the door selects MIC or MIC ATT for the mic jack, or selects Audio 1 input jack.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2003, 09:05 PM   #4
Wrangler

A pair of Sennehiser ew112p would be just under a $1,000.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2003, 07:19 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks for the assistance guys. I will try this out today and post again if I am still having difficulties. Thanks also for the purchase advice. Now I can start shopping.
Old March 28th, 2003, 01:37 PM   #6
New Boot

Well folks. I didn't exactly reply the next day as planned. At any rate. I have attempted to use the settings sugested again without any luck. Here is my setup and settings: Sony WCS wirless system. The receiver has a single 1/8" mini-jack output. I have the single mini-jack running to a female/female coupler and into the other side have a mini-jack to L/R RCA cable. The RCA ends are plugged into the audio 1 RCA inputs on the back of the camera. From the menu I selected 12bit, MIC. Under the audio door I have audio 1 set to line. I get no audio at all. If I plug the single mini-jack from the receiver into the standard camera jack near the front of the camera and set the input under the door to MIC, I get audio. Is the splitter/coupler likely the problem or am I still missing something? I have read and re-read the manual and I THINK I have tried all the possible settings at this point. BTW, my ultimate goal is to get audio from the standard on camera mic AND the wireless. However, at this point I can't manage to get anything out of the WCS unless I plug it into the standard mic jack in place of the standard mic. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old March 28th, 2003, 05:20 PM   #7
Wrangler

For 12-bit or 16-bit audio, you should be OK - If the WCS999 is connected to the Audio 1 input jacks:

Set the audio1/mic input select switch behind the door to "AUDIO 1"

If using manual REC level setting, be sure the level setting is not at zero.

Set the Audio 1 level on the menu to "MIC"

Pages 51 & 52 of the XL1s manual cover this.

If that does not work, check to be sure that you adapters/cables are OK, and try using a different, known good source to the Audio 1 inptut.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2003, 07:05 AM   #8
New Boot

Don,

Thanks for the reply. I tried these settings again with the same result. I know my inputs on the camera are good as I have transferred to the XL1s from another camera with the input and it worked fine. I am assuming my splitter or coupler are bad at this point. I will purchase a new set and try that out.

Thanks again!
Old April 7th, 2003, 04:23 PM   #9
Major Player

I have a WCS-999 and a Canon GL2 (sorry, don't know anything about the XL1).

I bought an adapter that converted the mono plug from the 999 to a stereo mini plug (Radio Shack 274-374) and plugged that into my GL2's mic input jack. This worked fine except that the level was very high when the GL2's audio controls were centered.

Just this morning I did another test with a mixer (Behringer MX802a). I adjusted levels using headphones at the mixer. Because it was a quick test, I just put the mixer's output to a MiniDisc recorder and then listened to the result. It was fine. I still have to do this test by routing the mixer output to the GL2, but now I think I'll be able to get good levels without having to crank the GL2's settings very low. Of course, my shooting situation is static. If I had to move around, this wouldn't be practical.

If economy is a consideration, you might try Azden's WR22-PRO VHF 2-channel receiver with two of the WL/T-PRO bodypacks with lavaliere mics. That kit is $311 from B&H. It's intended for on-cam use.

The frequency of the WCS-999 is 913-915MHz, which puts it in the UHF category. If you can find a solution that gives a good result and the transmitter won't get too far away, the 999 sure is an economical solution. Also, because it supports three frequencies, you can use up to three at the same time if you have a way to mix them. The 999 receiver is small enough to clip somewhere near the cam.
Will Fastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2003, 08:52 PM   #10
Wrangler

Frankly, unless Sony has improved the system, I don't think it is worth the trouble. I thought if I could get one to work 50 to 100 feet that would do. But I could not get it to work well even at 10 feet.

Thank good for the Sennheiser 100 series...

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog