Capturing Right Audio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old April 7th, 2003, 11:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Capturing Right Audio

Yesterday I shot some footage at a church, where they already had mics set up with a mixer etc. so I ran a cable from their system to my xl1s into the audio 2 jacks. Everything was fine,
audio was great and I monitored it the whole time with headphones.

But when I try captureing it with Premiere or vegas, I don't get the audio (unless I turn the volume WAY up then I hear it a little bit). I recorded it with the auto seting turned on, and on the audio levels on the camera look good too. I can hear it thru headphones or hooking it up to a tv. But not thru the computer. Any help would be very nice.

Thank You

p.s. i'm using a generic firewire card to capture with
Jacob Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2003, 11:54 AM   #2
Wrangler

Many NLEs, like Premiere and Vegas, do not capture Canon 4-track. Most people use a $40 program called [url=http://www.scenalyzer.com]Scenalyzer[url] which does the work for you.

Also realize that Canon 4-track is 12 bit audio and not 16 bit. Be sure to use 12 bit audio track in your NLE.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2003, 01:23 PM   #3
Major Player

So not even Premiere 6.5 cannot capture 4 channels. Such as Stereo 1 with DV and then Stereo 2 as separate wav files????

I have just got Premiere 6.5 so I am still learning what it can do and how it works.
Christopher Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2003, 03:20 PM   #4
Wrangler

Four-channel capture depends on the capture hardware and drivers you have. Premiere 6.x can do 4-channel capture with the right hardware.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2003, 04:13 AM   #5
Major Player

4 Chanel Audio

Premiere 6.5 + Matrox RT.X100 will capture 4 Chanel Audio.
Use it all the time and works OK.
Arnaldo Paixao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2003, 07:54 AM   #6
Wrangler

Glad to hear that Premiere can finally do that. Now will Sonic Foundry added it to Vegas 4.0? The initial reaction from SF was maybe not yet.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2003, 09:17 AM   #7
Major Player

As Don Palomaki said, the 4 chanel audio capture depends more on the capture card and its drivers than on Premiere. Most of them, if not all, have some kind of small utility, outside Premiere, were you see what you can do and chose how to capture your fotage.

As a workaround, you can always capture chanels 3 and 4 saperately and drag the resulting wave files into Premiere. Drawback: You have to watchout for the syncro between video and audio.
Arnaldo Paixao is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog