Headphones, what to buy? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 21st, 2003, 02:33 PM   #1
Slash Rules!

Headphones, what to buy?

I have a cheap pair of $20 headphones, and want to get better ones. My friend said you can spend around $40 and get a good pair. I want to know what the pros think. I've heard the best brands are Aiwa and Sony. What do I want? What do I look for?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2003, 02:48 PM   #2
Capt. Quirk

Definately get headphones that have the cup which covers the entire ear. They should be adjustable, and set comfortably, yet snug.
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2003, 02:55 PM   #3
Warden

Josh, do a search on this one. A lot has been said about headphones. Sony and Sennheiser are the two popular brands.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2003, 03:57 PM   #4
Wrangler

I have to disagree with Keith.

Josh, Sony has a pair of headphones called fontopia. They are ear-buds that I would guess would be about $50US. They sound amazing. I used to use very expensive "studio" quality headphones that had a massive cup, but i stopped wearing them because they were so cumbersome. I used to avoid earbuds like a plague, but after hearing the Fontopias....
SO Sweet!
Plus you can easily pop one side out if you like.

I do wish that Canon would of made the headphone output on the XL1 slightly louder than it is.
Nori Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2003, 04:46 PM   #5
Capt. Quirk

Ear buds huh? I haven't had any of those since I gave up my walkman. How are they with the ambient sound around you? The reason I liked the full ear cups, is because they keep out most of what is around you. That can be a bother though...
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2003, 07:07 PM   #6
Wrangler

Most Earbuds really suck, they never fit in your ear properly, and usually break quite easy. Fontopia is the way.
-Nori
Old March 22nd, 2003, 01:03 AM   #7
Slash Rules!

I will look into your suggestions. Thanks.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2003, 01:38 AM   #8
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Keith and Nori ar both right.

The Sony MDR-7506's are the general standard for pro headphones. Very good sound, foldable, closed cups. The 7505's are nearly identical except a bit more compact.

The Fotopia's that Nori mentioned are also very good. If they are the ones I'm thinking of (and have), they are not the usual Walkman-style earbuds that lodge over your ear canal. These headphones fit into your ear canal using tiny flexible rubber cups. They do a pretty good job of isolating you from ambient sound and they really do sound good. If you're traveling light and don't want to schlep much more than your camera (and mic), these are perfect. They fit into your pocket like Walkman-style earbuds and can be deployed easily and inconspicuously. They're not easy to find but worth the search.

Here they are on the Sony site.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2003, 05:51 AM   #9
Wrangler

In the consumer line, the Sony MDR-V600 sound good and are comfortable. I find they work well with the XL1, especially if tripod mounted. They are a bit bulky (and the cord is long) for normal handheld shooting.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2003, 04:01 PM   #10
Major Player

I too hate earplugs, every time I get them with minidisc walkmans I give them away! They hurt your ears and are too big to fit good. But I have seem the fotopia's and had my eye on them. They are so small, what I wanted years ago. I'm very very tempted to buy some soon as I get some cash.

I currently use Senneheiser closed-back which I love! The germans know a thing or two when it comes to music. I use them for my mini-discman especially on the Metro or trains, as well as for cameras. Yeah Im the geek type so see with big headphones on the trains and streets. Quality no appreance for me! The ones I have I got cheap from a music place here called Richer Sounds...so would be around 65 dollars. Its a lot of money...but are they worth it....yes!!! The cable disconnects so you can repalce it with any legnth to suit your needs or better quality cable. I have used lots of headphones over the years and would honestly never go back to cheaper headphones....like it all you get what you pay for. I previously used a pair of amazing AKGs, which I found in a bargin bin at a hi-fi store for £10 ($15) WOW! I felt like a criminal robbing the shop, so cheap for what were really expensive headphones, I hope some young shop assistant didnt loose his job over them. The eventually gave up the ghost, and I wish I had bought them all from the bargin bin. So you never know what smaller backstreet stores can unfold.

I would really recommend taking in your camera to the hi-fi store and trying out all the headphones first. Get ones that sound good to you. And dont make the mistake of buying the best quality, only to later find they are uncomfortable. No two pairs of ears are alike, so get comfortable ones, cos you could use them for hours. And uncomfortable ones, make your ears all sweaty and ichy and drive you mad.

I wish I knew someone that has the Fotopias so I could try them....they look smart for portable use. Those that have them? What are the like to use in hot, humid areas? They "breathable" on your ears?
Christopher Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2003, 07:34 PM   #11
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

<<<-- Originally posted by Christopher Hughes : Those that have them? What are the like to use in hot, humid areas? They "breathable" on your ears? -->>>

Heat is not an issue with these ear buds. They fit into your ear, not on it.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2003, 06:33 AM   #12
Wrangler

Anyone ever try the noise-canceling earbuds from Sony ((MDR-NC11) with a camcorder?
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2003, 01:44 PM   #13
Major Player

Just some earplugs just hurt your ears and make them really itchy especially when hot, maybe just cos cheap ones never fit properly, and movement makes ur ears sore. So from what it seems they fit really nicely into your ears then, rather than half in / half out??? Nice and tight inside canal entrance.
Christopher Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2003, 11:12 AM   #14
Wrangler

Don,

I have tried the noise cancelling headphones with my XL-1. They sounded the worst out of all of the headphones I have tested. They also didn't sound very good for music. I think the only situation they are actually intended for, is watching dvds on airplanes or in loud vehicles.

-Nori
Old March 25th, 2003, 09:03 AM   #15
Major Player

I got a set of Fontopias long ago, with a walkman from Europe. 8-10 years ago, so they aren't new. They have taken their sweet time to get to North America though. Excellent sound for the size, I'll definatley get another set (being buds they broke a while back :)

I also have a set of Sennheiser 570s, but too bulky. I keep those for the editing room. Those are the best headphones I've ever purchased.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog