Canon 3X lens or W/A adapter? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old September 22nd, 2004, 05:49 PM   #16
Major Player

The 3X.
Old September 22nd, 2004, 05:51 PM   #17
Obstreperous Rex

The 3x is a lot lighter, and a lot easier to shoot with, than a 16x with an adapter on the front (this combo is a little on the heavy side). You're giving up the OIS, but you shouldn't need it on a wide-angle anyway.

About the Century adapters, the wider of the two is not full-zoom through, it loses the telephoto half of the lens. The other one lets you zoom all the way through the entire range of the lens.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2004, 08:32 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Chris, what is the minimum focus for the 3X?

I see 3/4" at widest zoom on this canon page

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...5&modelid=8274

But at adorama and other retailers I see 0.5 m...

http://www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%20171962.html

Can you tell me which it is? Thanks.
Roger Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2004, 09:09 PM   #19
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

See the bottom of my 16x review page.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2004, 10:41 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Thanks, Ken. I'm wondering if it's just a typo on that canon page; do you think it's something else that the 3/4" could be referring to?
Old September 22nd, 2004, 11:11 PM   #21
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Roger,
One of the hazards of transcribing spec data from the little lens sheets is that you get cross-eyed after a while and are no longer thinking about what you're typing. That's apparently what I did on that comparative chart.

The 3x lens' minimum focusing distance at its widest setting is 20mm, not 20cm. That, of course, converts to just above 3/4". I just tested this with my own lens and it is accurate.

The other error regarding the 3x lens on my chart is that it does have a built-in ND filter, whereas I indicated that it does not.

My sincere apologies for misleading you. I'll see if Chris can make the corrections pronto.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2004, 11:22 PM   #22
Warden

I can confirm this as well. Several years ago I shot some wildflowers in the early morning with dew on them. I got so close that I got dew on the front element. The dew drops on the lens are in perfect focus. If I can find the footage, I'll make a screen grab and post a link to the shot. On another occasion I got spider webs across the lens hood and the silk from the web is in focus.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2004, 11:57 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Thanks again, Ken.
Your updated spec and Jeff's anecdote have more or less convinced me to get this baby.
Old September 23rd, 2004, 07:03 AM   #24
Trustee

rog,

i have the 3x and through horsing around with it, i have felt that it has become an indispensible tool for closeups. if i need to utilize telephoto then i put on 16x auto but 3x all the way for closeups. in fact if you don't have 3x then it just doesn't have that 'broadcast quality'. i suppose part of the appeal of broadcast cams like real-world or newsmedia shows is that their lens is wider. apparently making everyone look a bit fatter is 'professional' =^).
Old September 23rd, 2004, 11:06 AM   #25
Major Player

Thanks, I think I'll get the 3x now... besides I guess I'll be able to use it when I upgrade my camera.

"Good taste is the enemy of creativity" - Picasso

Blog: http://www.tonyhall.name
Tony Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2004, 12:17 PM   #26
Obstreperous Rex

Gotta love that built-in macro. The little Canon single-chip DV cameras have this, too. Zoom out to full wide, and they'll focus right up to the glass.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2004, 02:07 AM   #27
New Boot

Hi,
I read a lot here in the forum to make up my mind about the 3x vs. Century .6 or .7.

In the end I tested them side by side and I can agree with all who say that the 3x is worth the money (although not cheap).

So I've got one myself and I can say: It is now the standard on my XL1s. I only use the 16x when true 16x is needed.

I am very pleased with it, but have to admit, that the "getting the picture sharp" is an issue. As someone said here in the forum: Tha Canons are a bit on the soft side ;-)

Cheers from Germany
Jan
Jan Zirn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog