XL1 Rain Cover at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old January 30th, 2002, 04:35 PM   #1
michaelcolin

XL1 Rain Cover

I'd appreciate any feedback on user experiences with the various rain covers available for the XL1, recommendations, etc. Thanks.
Old January 30th, 2002, 08:24 PM   #2
bingalls

I have the Portabrace slicker which works wonderfully if you have a standard XL1. Since I've upgraded my setup to include a Lightwave mini-mount etc. it no longer fits as well since the mic. is now out in the open. Other than that, though, I'd highly recommend it.
Old February 2nd, 2002, 07:48 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I've used PortaBrace on my other cameras with good results, however I'm not real satisfied with the one they have for the XL1.

Instead I use a cover from a company called Video Sealskin (www.videosealskin.com).

I like their design better, and they provide more protection as well.

Mike Avery
Mike Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2002, 08:55 AM   #4
Major Player

I agree with the above comments on the PortaBrace. It does provide good protection but the fit is tight, particularly with the System Isolator installed. I finally decided to take the SI off when using the cover. It is also hard to see the audio meter.

PortaBrace has a new XL1 model designed to fit the camera with MA200 attached. (RS-XL-1HC) It does cover the camera and adapter but unless you have right angle plugs on your XLR cables, the back of the cover will have to be left open due to the snug fit.
Old February 2nd, 2002, 09:50 AM   #5
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I have the Kata Rain Cover which has room for everything on the XL-1...mic, and MA-200 with battery. The only thing I don't care for is the fact that it is SO loose. No matter how you fold excess material and strap down with the velcro straps...it just isn't taught and it makes the same noises that you hear when you walk wearing a rainsuit.

Wouldn't mind testing out something more streamlined like the Seal Skin although I worry about how water tight it is. Has anyone tried it?

Adrian, what do you use for shooting snowboarding?

Also, I have a question. I have the equalizer on my onboard mic. Should that be switched to the styrofoam standard mic cover during rain? And since covers like the Kata Rain Cover allow the end of the mic to protrude exposed out from the cover a bit, just how much moisture is safe? To be honest, I haven't had the guts yet to let my mic get wet...so I either stop shooting or remove the mic and shoot without sound. How do you guys handle this with rain and your XL-1s?
Old February 2nd, 2002, 10:30 AM   #6
Trustee

For shooting in the snow I use two methods,

1. Don't shoot when it's snowing.

2. Don't fall over and drop your camera in the snow.

I've been meaning to get a cover for a couple of years but never get round to it, ordered one once, but it never showed up. Was going to get the PortaBrace one but not sure now.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2002, 10:42 AM   #7
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Adrian,

LOL - So what do you do when you're at 12,000 feet and it starts to snow? And you mean to tell me you've NEVER taken a spill with your XL-1? Now THATS's impressive.

This Kata cover should be easy for you to find...I'm pretty sure they're made in Japan. Pricewise...weeeeell....
Old February 2nd, 2002, 11:03 AM   #8
Trustee

I looked at it and as you know it's to bulky and flappy, the ProtaBrace looks like the best bet.

When you spend enough time in the snow, you know exactly when it's gonna start snowing(usuallly because you hit the booze big time the night before)

I've fallen once with my camera, thanks to a beginner panicing as I was passing him on a cat track, he fell on to the front of my board. I went down and broke the viewfinder swivel mount, so my viewfinder was held on with gaffer tape for the rest of the season(not too many Canon dealers in country NZ)

Log on to MSN mate
Old February 3rd, 2002, 10:19 AM   #9
Regular Crew

NZ?

This might be off the topic, but where in NZ are you from?
I've been in Wanaka for a month, 5 years ago, trebble cone and Cadrona.
Takeshi
Takeshi Fukushima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2002, 11:18 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Equalizer in the rain

John,

I thought I remembered seeing this somewhere. If you go to B&H's site and search on "eq-xl1" it returns the Lightwave cover and in the description below it states:

• Can be used in rain and snow, while keeping the microphone dry and acoustically unaffected.

Dont know how accurate this claim is but I assume they got it from Lightwave...

Chris
Chris Ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2002, 11:35 PM   #11
Trustee

Takeshi,

I'm actually Australian, from the Gold Coast. I lived in Methven for a couple of winters, working at Mt Hutt. I've been to Wanaka many times to shoot at both Treble Cone and Cardrona. TC actually claimed the rotator on my viewfinder one spring on a cat track.
Old February 6th, 2002, 10:17 AM   #12
Contributor

FS: Porta Brace RS XL1 Raincover for the XL1

I have a rsxl1 I am looking to sell. They retail for around $175, I will let it go for $75.
aaronfrick@hotmail.com
Aaron Frick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog