Lights, Camera ... darkness at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 16th, 2007, 09:40 AM   #1
Major Player

Lights, Camera ... darkness

After shooting a wedding where they basically had the lights OFF during the reception (though they told me otherwise), I have come to the realization that I need some sort of lighting for the XL1s while I'm roaming.

Ideas? Experience? Do you know of any that are bad ideas?
Alex Sprinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 10:30 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Sprinkle View Post
After shooting a wedding where they basically had the lights OFF during the reception (though they told me otherwise), I have come to the realization that I need some sort of lighting for the XL1s while I'm roaming.

Ideas? Experience? Do you know of any that are bad ideas?
Easy. Just take the lens cap off.

:-)

Seriously, a 30W lightbulb will be enough for the A1 to get an exposure (with the right presets), but the TTL autofocus will not work well. If you can afford (and heft) the batteries, get one that's bright enough to use a big diffuser (at least the size of a human face). One advantage of having no lights is you don't have to worry about mixing light balance with room lights.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 07:08 AM   #3
Wrangler

I've used a MiniCool 2000 with a diffuser and a Sony HVL-20DW2 with success. Both at around 20 watts.

For most events like receptions, use the lowest watage you can get away with. No one likes to have a bright video light in their face at a party.
Old March 30th, 2007, 04:36 PM   #4
Major Player

When I can get away with it (always get B&G permission) I bring a couple of 700w Quartz flood lights and aim them at the ceiling or some kind of light reflecting surface to cast a significant, but gentle pool of light over specific areas I know will be important. I also place in the power line a dimmer. Very helpful. Important to this whole process is being able to position the lights in a safe and secure manner. Simply stated, if I can not position and secure a light fixture with absolute confidence no one could be injured should an accident happen I do not use it.

I always have a modified mini-cool 10 watt light on my camera. Modified with an 8" extension rod and a flip down diffusion gel. Having two or more fixed lights with my on camera light is an absolute pleasure. I can still acquire what I need with the on camera light.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog