What is the AE shift do? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 20th, 2007, 09:03 PM   #1
New Boot

What is the AE shift do?

Hey,
I have had some experience with the XL 1 and the GL 2, as well as several other HD video cameras. I keep seeing this setting called A.E. Shift, and I do not know what it does. Can someone explain uses, and what it does with the camera?
Ben Fiedler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 09:53 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Fiedler View Post
Hey,
I have had some experience with the XL 1 and the GL 2, as well as several other HD video cameras. I keep seeing this setting called A.E. Shift, and I do not know what it does. Can someone explain uses, and what it does with the camera?
It shifts the autoexposure to make the video brighter or dimmer. It's useful when you still want autoexposure, but you need to override it by a set amount in one direction. For example, if your filming in the snow all day, a +1 or +2 AE shift will help the camera get closer to the proper exposure.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 02:28 PM   #3
Major Player

Decrease the auto exposure shift by -1 to get increased contrast and color saturation.
Old March 21st, 2007, 06:37 PM   #4
Wrangler

From the XL1 manual:
"By controlling the level of the automatic exposure (AE) function, you can lighten or darken the image slightly. This allows you to compensate for backlit subjects or subjects with predominately dark or light tones...
• To make the image brighter, turn the controller towards the + settings.
• To make the image darker, turn the controller towards the – settings.
Note:
• AE shift does not function in the Easy, Manual or Spotlight Recording programs."
Old April 16th, 2007, 06:19 PM   #5
New Boot

thank you. that is a lot of help. i hope i will get a chance to use it soon!
Ben Fiedler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog