XL1 vs XL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old April 18th, 2007, 12:56 PM   #1
New Boot

XL1 vs XL2

I am going to be purchasing either the Canon XL1 or XL2, but I can't quite afford the XL2. What, really, am I missing out on by chosing the previous model? Is it worth the extra two grand? I'm sure it is for some, but I am a 19 year old independent film student, just trying to throw together some decent looking shorts. I've read a few different reviews and a lot of specifications, but I'd like to know what you guys have to say.
Matt Gossen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 01:10 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I would go with the xl1s just because the darn thing allows you to go into standby mode without completely shutting off the cam! also, I just bought an xl1s, waivering between the two as well and what made the decision for me was not only the price, but also that I was just starting out. I think the XL2 is nice, but I do love what I get with the xl1s. its like saying, should I buy the honda accord le or se
Old April 18th, 2007, 01:19 PM   #3
Regular Crew

xl1 vs xl2

The xl2 is an incredible camera. The xl1 is also a great camera. The important key features you will be missing out on by going with the xl1 or xl1s (IMO)

1. true 16 x 9
2. 24 P
3. The flip up view finder (its vain, but I love this one)
4. 20x zoom
5. Manual control (yes, the xl1 has manual controls, but there are many more on the xl2)

If these things are not important to you, I would go with the xl1. But remember, most any xl1 has "been around the block a few times" unless you believe the ebay ads, "Only 10 hours been in storage for 2 years" line.

Many of the manual picture controls can be done in post. Either way, this is a true work horse and I highly doubt you will be disappointed with either.
Old April 18th, 2007, 07:09 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Will the resolution/clarity be different on the 2 cameras?

I was debating this same thing lol
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 11:29 PM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Grimes View Post
The important key features you will be missing out on by going with the xl1 or xl1s (IMO)
do those features also apply to the xl1s?
Matt Gossen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 03:40 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Features

Those features are only on the xl2 I believe (not sure about how much manual control you have over the xl1s.) Here is how it was explained to me by the dealer:
The xl1s is an updated version of the xl1. The xl2 is totally redesigned.

Hope this helps.
Old April 19th, 2007, 04:06 PM   #7
Major Player

If you spend some time at the XL1,XL1s, and XL2 watchdog pages Chris Hurd has put together you will find a wealth of information.

Briefly, Canon always completely redesigns its cameras from one end to the other. One of the reasons Canon is always the last to introduce a new version. So the XL1 and XL1s are quite different, even though they share many of the same features, like chassis design, viewfiender, some controls and lenses. The XL1s has a better chip set, more precise controls.

The XL2, as mentioned already, is a true 16 x 9 camera as well as being a true 4 x 3 camera. It is also completely re designed with significantly greater capabilities.

Were it me, I'd choose the XL2. You will get more life out of it in the long run. That said, they are all wonderful cameras. You simply have to find one that has been given lots of careful attention.
Old April 20th, 2007, 06:42 AM   #8
Trustee

Matt, Here is a post I put up awhile back in response to the same question. Bob I had both the XL-1 and the XL-1s. I had the XL-1s for several years and did some major productions for the government. I even used it down on the Mississippi coast 3 days after Katrina and loved the color and images I was getting with it. I have had the XL-2 since Aug. 2006. Here goes. The XL-2 blows the XL-1s away. Image is very noticably sharper, color more brilliant, MUCH, MUCH easier to focus, many more options as far as settings go, the 20x lens is so much clearer and nicer than the 16x. Image stabalizer is great. Viewfinder is bigger, sharper and clearer, flip up screen on VF is nice, not great, but really nice. Yes, it is a little over a pound heavier, but I am already used to that. XLR inputs are a BIG advantage. True 16 x 9 aspect is unbelievably beautiful, I don't think I could ever go back to 4 x 5 aspect. I have had NO problems with back focus on my older 3x. Oh, it may be just me, but my old battaries seem to last twice as long. In my opinion, the upgrade is more than worth the money. This camcorder really performs beyond my expectations. But remember, in order for it to really rock you must play around with the presets and set the camcorder to function the way YOU want it to. Go for it, you will never regret it. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 01:43 PM   #9
New Boot

thanks so much for all the feedback guys : )
Matt Gossen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog