Problem with XL1 (In Calgary) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old April 7th, 2007, 02:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Problem with playback XL1 (In Calgary)

Hey everyone,

Well, XL1 #2 is now giving my a hard time. I just finished 4 months on the road shooting a travel doc on the western U.S. and the southwest and during the last week the camera has stopped functioning. Basically, when I insert a tape and try to play it back all I get is a blue screen and the camera telling me there is time left on the tape. Has anyone here every experienced this before?

If there is anyone here from Calgary can you recommend a good spot to repair the camera if it is broken. I'm hoping not and it's just me being a newb and having messed up some setting.

Thanks,

Scott

Last edited by Scott Thibodeau; April 7th, 2007 at 07:51 PM.
Scott Thibodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 05:00 PM   #2
Major Player

Oooo, this sounds like an expensive visit to a Canon Repair facility. Do all the tests and non-invasive cleaning processes you can perform.

Read the manual from end to end, looking for a clue to help you. Write down every camera behavior. This is important. When you notify Canon online that you need repair, you will be asked to describe your problem. If you can accurately describe the situation you may significantly aid the camera technicians who authorize online repair requests. I suspect they are the one to assign repair costs. In my case some months ago (which did not have the issues you describe) I received a repair cost estimate of $62.00 US. I really didn't believe this would be the final cost, but I went along with it.

When the camera was returned to me, the repair invoice had a $400US repair cost line with a $338US credit. The bottom line was $62.00US. My cost of shipping the camera to Canon was almost $62.00! And Canon absorbed the cost of return shipping!

Figure that one out. Best conclusion I could come up with was that I did my homework and it either paid off or the serial # of my camera had a known problem clearly the fault of Canon manufacture. Canon isn't talking, so all I can do is guess.
Old April 9th, 2007, 05:15 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldemar Winkler View Post
Oooo, this sounds like an expensive visit to a Canon Repair facility. Do all the tests and non-invasive cleaning processes you can perform.

Read the manual from end to end, looking for a clue to help you. Write down every camera behavior. This is important. When you notify Canon online that you need repair, you will be asked to describe your problem. If you can accurately describe the situation you may significantly aid the camera technicians who authorize online repair requests. I suspect they are the one to assign repair costs. In my case some months ago (which did not have the issues you describe) I received a repair cost estimate of $62.00 US. I really didn't believe this would be the final cost, but I went along with it.

When the camera was returned to me, the repair invoice had a $400US repair cost line with a $338US credit. The bottom line was $62.00US. My cost of shipping the camera to Canon was almost $62.00! And Canon absorbed the cost of return shipping!

Figure that one out. Best conclusion I could come up with was that I did my homework and it either paid off or the serial # of my camera had a known problem clearly the fault of Canon manufacture. Canon isn't talking, so all I can do is guess.
Thanks Waldemar for all the advice. I'll give that a go and let you know how I make out. Cheers.

Scott
Old April 12th, 2007, 07:27 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Check the power cord that runs from the viewfinder to the camera body. This is a bad spot to have this cord and can easy be nocked out or loosened from the port. I had this problem just 3 weeks ago and Canon service ran me through and then told me to send it in. By accident I hit the cord and found the problem my self with less a $800 service bill.
Adrian J. Hare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 11:26 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Bowman View Post
Check the power cord that runs from the viewfinder to the camera body. This is a bad spot to have this cord and can easy be nocked out or loosened from the port. I had this problem just 3 weeks ago and Canon service ran me through and then told me to send it in. By accident I hit the cord and found the problem my self with less a $800 service bill.
I took a look at that already as it had happened to me on my trip. I'll run through it again though just in case. I'm really hoping it's something this simple.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 04:21 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Canon repair facility in Vancouver

Hi Scott, (I'm in no way affiliated with this company - I just had great service at a reasonable cost done on both my cameras) I see you are listed in Vancouver? If so there is a repair center, yes Canon authorized on Imperial, just off Kingsway. I think they are called IT electronics(?) They're pretty fast to, but they charge an extra $25 for "Overnight" service. (had both my GL2 and XL1s done there. Good luck
Gary Siu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 12:49 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siu View Post
Hi Scott, (I'm in no way affiliated with this company - I just had great service at a reasonable cost done on both my cameras) I see you are listed in Vancouver? If so there is a repair center, yes Canon authorized on Imperial, just off Kingsway. I think they are called IT electronics(?) They're pretty fast to, but they charge an extra $25 for "Overnight" service. (had both my GL2 and XL1s done there. Good luck
Thanks a lot for the info Gary. I should update my profile as I'm in Cold Lake Alberta now. :) As it turns out the heads were dirty on my camera. The head cleaning tape that I had wasn't working but when I used a friends it cleared the problem right up so now I'm right as rain again. Feeling a little bit of the newb embarassment but that's alright...live and learn. Thanks for everyones response.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 09:24 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Scott, what type of cleaning tape did your friend have? And what tapes are you recording on? I am having similiar problems and want to find out if it something that I am doing. Thanks,
Old May 4th, 2007, 12:07 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mayne View Post
Scott, what type of cleaning tape did your friend have? And what tapes are you recording on? I am having similiar problems and want to find out if it something that I am doing. Thanks,
Not sure what cleaning tape it was but it certainly did the trick. I was using different types of tapes as I was traveling through Mexico and different have much of a choice. Next time I hit the road and start traveling I'll buy a few cases of tapes before I go and only use one brand.
Old May 4th, 2007, 05:19 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Glad it all turned out OK

Hey Scott. Cold Lake eh????? WHY? HAHAHA. just kidding.

About the cleaning tape - funny you mentioned it. I used to use a "Maxell" one I bought at London Drugs. It never seemed to solve any clogged head issues. Then I tried the Sony one, and it did solve the problem. And I thought all cleaning tapes were created equal! Guess we all learned something here. Cheers.
Gary Siu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog