Using Cineform on both the Mac and PC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old August 2nd, 2007, 02:33 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Using Cineform on both the Mac and PC

Hello,
I am thinking of getting Cineform. Currently, I was thinking of getting it for the PC since I do most of my work on the PC and I was contemplating using Premier.

I am using a Sony V1U with the DR60 to capture the m2t files. Currently I tested with the demo transferring them to a PC, batching converting them to 24P and I am ready to rumble on a PC. However, I have decided to use FCS2.

My questions are:
Am I able to use the files created with Cineform on a PC on the Mac after I have installed the Mac Beta codec? (I just read but I guess I should confirm the FAQ: Yes but with a gamma shift. What if I set the Apple to match the PC? Is the FAQ current?)

Is it possible to use Cineform (Any) and not use the Cineform codec? For instance, use Cineform to do a batch conversion of my scenes, pull the 24P out of the V1U but then make a QT file with a standard codec…

Can I do the batch convert on the Mac with the beta codec? It seems that HDlink is not compatible with the Mac, is there a comparable program on the Mac? (I need to pull the 24P out of the V1U.)

If I buy Cineform on the PC, will I be able to use it on the Mac when it goes out of beta?

I am not well verse on MacOS so I am holding of testing of the beta codec. If I can get some info, I am more willing so I know what to expect. I am at least decently versed on FCS and have been using it often enough. I feel the need to do more with FCP than with Premier. Suggestions?

It seems like the alternative is to either use the Apple to pull the reverse telecine or just use Premier.

Thanks
M
Malameel Shawky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 08:27 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Once the Mac version is out of beta (very soon) you will be able to use the PC (or boot camp) to batch convert M2T files into 24p CineForm MOVs ready for use in FCS.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 09:07 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I do not have a dual boot system, and prefer not to... Besides, I am using the old power PC. I guess there is a boot camp for it or something.

However, I guess you are saying that the Mac version will not have something like HDlink? To me that was the big draw.

So I guess I cant use Cineform to capture the live HDMI siungle and have the pulldown removed..live.

I am not trying to harp, but understand, what is the point then of the Mac codec? Maybe I am missing something? Does the Mac version remove the pulldown? I will need a PC to batch convert for the Mac?

Other than being usable in FCP, will it be accelerated like Premier?

Would you suggest then staying with Premier?
Thanks,
M
Old August 2nd, 2007, 09:27 PM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

For CineForm tools the PC is still the away to go. The Mac components are for bridging the often great divide between PCs and Macs by having a high quality production codec that works on both. We will be porting many of our tools to the Mac, but we had to start with the codec, the biggest task. Note: initially the codec is Intel only, as we need that architecture for performance, we may provide compatibility for old systems in the future but for performance with will need to upgrade.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 09:53 PM   #5
Regular Crew

So if I am currently a PowerPC guy, Cineform will not work?

Can HDLink convert to a diferent codec? I just need a tool to remove the pulldown, I can handle the rest.
M
Old August 2nd, 2007, 10:01 PM   #6
CTO, CineForm Inc.

The CineForm codec is part of the package, other codecs are too slow for what we need to do, that is also way we need at least dual core Intel processors (certainly for real-time pulldown extraction and compression.) Thank you for considering CineForm, but unfortunately our tools will not run on the G5.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase