Sound drift using Z1, Aspect and MOTU Audiodesk at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old November 2nd, 2007, 03:21 PM   #1
New Boot

Sound drift using Z1, Aspect and MOTU Audiodesk

Have several long scenes (30 minutes) recorded to 50i with the Z1, captured with HDlink 4.3 (with deinterlacing), and trying to sync up with sound recorded using a MOTU Traveler (with Audiodesk software) to an iBook (48mhz, 16 bit). Video and audio drift progressively where, by twenty five minutes, the video one second ahead of the sound.

No idea where the problem is, but any ideas would be appreciated.

BTW, PP CS3 says the video is 20 fps in the properties window, but shows 25 frames on the timeline. Upgrading from Aspect 4 to the trial version of Aspect 5 had no effect on this or the above problem. Haven't tried recapturing with HDlink bundled with Aspect 5 yet. might this help?

Thanks
John Kahoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 12:47 AM   #2
Major Player

The 20fps reporting for PAL footage is supposed to be fixed by the Premiere 3.1 update. As far as the sync goes, try adjusting the audio speed to 100.1% o 99.9% Sometimes it will be 1/1000 off due to the difference between 29.97 and 30fps (.03fps different) The are 48,048hz and 47,952hz settings on certain devices to compensate for that. (+/- 48hz, 1/1000 of 48khz) See the audio export options in AE for example. Not sure how that fits into the PAL world, but your audio system might be trying to compensate for that NTSC reality.
Old November 3rd, 2007, 09:54 AM   #3
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Make sure you don't have 3-2 pulldown selected for 50i capture, as that will turn 25fps to 20fps.
Old November 7th, 2007, 10:14 AM   #4
New Boot

Thanks for the help guys

turns out the sound's off 0.06%, so i speed it up to 100.05% inside PP and synchs up fine. guess that's the risk you take with 30 minute takes. actually one of the Z1's is off (sound and video) by the same amount (shot with 3 cameras) - don't know what's up with that.

you were indeed right, David. Since i'm capturing 50i, didn't pay attention to that setting on HDlink. Thought the 3-2 pulldown was exclusive to 60i, etc. Anyway, turned it off on capture and (with deinterlacing) have all the tapes uploadedin 25p.

btw, the hdlink in aspect 5 is much more stable than 4.3.
John Kahoun is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase