Cineform and 24p at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old November 6th, 2007, 08:55 AM   #1
Tourist

Cineform and 24p

Hi,

I've had AspectHD since version 3 (now upgraded to 5), but haven't had much time to play around with it due to various reasons (baby, moving etc).

I was wondering if someone could let me know if this is possible or am I going to need other software to accomplish what I want to do:

(I currently have AspectHD 5, and Premiere Pro 1.5).

- Convert the 1440x1080 video from my FX1 to 1920x1080
- Convert it from 60i (NTSC) to 24p

And after editing:

- Convert to NTSC and PAL DVD's
- Possibly export to film?

Any other tips/tricks would be appreciated.

Thanks

Michael
Michael Ruffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 10:21 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

You don't need to upconvert to 1920x1080, and Aspect HD is not licensed for that resolution as it is an HDV project (1440x1080 max.) If you truly need 1920x1080 editing and mastering that is a Prospect HD project.

Aspect HD does have some provision to convert 60i to 24p if you use HDLink to capture (setting deinterlace and 3-2 pulldown to ON.) You will need to try it for yourself to see if it is the look you want. Different applications convert 60i to 24p in different ways. But as you are in Australia you should be shooting 50i, much easier on the lighting with 50Hz power, and 50i to 24p is much easier and looks better (easier to convert to PAL or NTSC or Film outputs.)
Old November 6th, 2007, 10:28 AM   #3
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
You don't need to upconvert to 1920x1080, and Aspect HD is not licensed for that resolution as it is an HDV project (1440x1080 max.) If you truly need 1920x1080 editing and mastering that is a Prospect HD project.
Thanks David.. I kind of thought that after reading the specs on AspectHD on the Cineform website. The only thing I'm concerned about is exporting to an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray disc... would 1440x1080 cause a problem?

Quote:
Aspect HD does have some provision to convert 60i to 24p if you use HDLink to capture (setting deinterlace and 3-2 pulldown to ON.) You will need to try it for yourself to see if it is the look you want. Different applications convert 60i to 24p in different ways.
Ok.. HDLink is an option. Thanks. I think I actually prefer to capture using that than capturing inside of Premiere Pro.. I'll give it a try and see how it looks.

Quote:
But as you are in Australia you should be shooting 50i, much easier on the lighting with 50Hz power, and 50i to 24p is much easier and looks better (easier to convert to PAL or NTSC or Film outputs.)
I *should* yes :) But we're still in the US at the moment (moving in Jan), and we bought the FX1 here, so it's unfortunately 60i only... and since the FX1 in Australia is in the $6000 range.. I think I'd be looking at a divorce :)
Michael Ruffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 10:40 AM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Have you considered ebaying your FX1 and getting a Z1 so you can shoot 50i or 60i? If 24p is really important, just get a Canon HV20 -- it is less of a camera in all ways then FX1, but it produces a nice 24p.
Old November 6th, 2007, 12:01 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ruffin View Post
Thanks David.. I kind of thought that after reading the specs on AspectHD on the Cineform website. The only thing I'm concerned about is exporting to an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray disc... would 1440x1080 cause a problem?
BluRay uses 1440x1080 as one of it's standard resolutions. Not sure if HD-DVD does, but I believe so.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase