Vista vs XP - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old December 15th, 2007, 05:55 PM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Campbell View Post
Well, I just updated my system to xp x64 with 8 gig of memory
with my quad core, dual processor system. I have been kinda able to get
a m2t export to work that just crashed under vista and XP.
It now is able to use a lot more memory and renders faster.
And, all 8 processors are being used 70-90%.

No more vista, YEA!!

Dave
Continues to sound encouraging! How're things working with PP3? Have you used other CS3 progs as well?

We're putting together the parts for another single quad ws, with a Gigabyte GA-X38T-DQ6 board this time:

(http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/...me=GA-X38T-DQ6)

and DDR3 memory. When the new 45nm CPUs drop in price and gain in speed the end of 2008, we'll update the CPU to the fastest we can afford by then, bump the mem to full DDR 1800 (O.C.), and play with overclocking some.

With this newer x64SP2c, we're hoping the probs with x64 are pretty much gone and we'll gain some decent AE and PP3 performance too. Mostly big memory space is what we're after, but when things are totally stable, we'll play around overclocking and also up the mem from 4GB to it's 8GB max (too expensive right now!).

It's not a "workstation board", but should fly for what we need. The two, true full PCI-Express 2.0 (x32 duplex) slots help too, and the heatpipes on the mb are very cool (no pun intended) indeed.

Thanks for your info and keep us posted on your "glows and woes", and maybe we can avoid some pitfalls along the way as well.
Old December 15th, 2007, 06:04 PM   #32
Major Player

I have not tried any other apps yet, still trying to get my m2t export solved.
But, after fighting this for a year, and the first try with X64 it worked,
well, I am sold!!

What is XP X64 SP2c? I know XP has a SP3 in Beta. I have not heard of
anything for X64 XP yet.

Dave
Dave Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 06:28 PM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
I have not tried any other apps yet, still trying to get my m2t export solved.
But, after fighting this for a year, and the first try with X64 it worked,
well, I am sold!!

What is XP X64 SP2c? I know XP has a SP3 in Beta. I have not heard of
anything for X64 XP yet.

Dave
x64 SP2c is the last release I know of for Win Pro x64. It was released into the system builders channel in Sept, and you can find it pretty easily. Don't think there's any real changes, just MS licensing stuff. It's just SP2.

Nothing yet on a SP3 for it, but I would bet money that MS will have one in the near future, since Vista has been so problematic. They'll probably do a backpedal for a little while, until their Win 7 is released in a year or two.

There is a new update for IE for XP x64 though from two weeks ago: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
Old December 15th, 2007, 06:42 PM   #34
Major Player

Okay, I assume it will do updates for me to get it.

Now that vista is behind me, I sure can think of LOTS of stuff I did not like about it. The file structure. The new search. The DRM. The UAC.
I just hope for windows 7 they focus on performance and not all the garbage
they added on. I wonder if Vista will be remembered like ME? Since I dumped ME quickly, and now Vista, I guess so for me.

Dave
Old December 15th, 2007, 06:47 PM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Okay, I assume it will do updates for me to get it.

Now that vista is behind me, I sure can think of LOTS of stuff I did not like about it. The file structure. The new search. The DRM. The UAC.
I just hope for windows 7 they focus on performance and not all the garbage
they added on. I wonder if Vista will be remembered like ME? Since I dumped ME quickly, and now Vista, I guess so for me.

Dave
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
Old December 15th, 2007, 07:14 PM   #36
Major Player

Thanks, that is SP2 which was released in March and I have.

Sure seems pretty stable. Another thing now is CS3 PPro is
using like 1.8 gigs of memory so it is doing all it can now in
32 bit mode!!

Dave
Old December 15th, 2007, 09:02 PM   #37
Major Player

Quote:
Thanks, that is SP2 which was released in March and I have.

Sure seems pretty stable. Another thing now is CS3 PPro is
using like 1.8 gigs of memory so it is doing all it can now in
32 bit mode!!

Dave
If your PP3 climbs beyond 2 GB, THEN you've got something big! Can't imagine that happening, but...if it does, be sure to give some input here. Others are monitoring this post for sure.

Well, if this x64 OS can run CS3 with enough stability, and even add some benefits to AE users, maybe we can hold on until Adobe has their apps ported to 64bit?

I don't really blame them for not releasing 64bit versions though, what with MS's confusion on Vista, but it sure would be nice to hear a little hope from them. As the HD sizes and resolutions continue to climb, the memory space and parallel computing power needs increase exponentially. 32bit is way too light for such needs and the world is quickly moving to 64bit.

Can you imagine if we went to some kind of 3D video? Even these quads would then seem like the 4.77 Mhz NEC V20 CPU in my first computer!

Power breeds new possibilities, and possibilities produce new innovations. New innovations push for more power....and so the cycle goes on.
Old December 15th, 2007, 10:09 PM   #38
Major Player

I would have to look, but in the past with XP and vista, I thought the most I saw was like 900M. So, when I saw 1.8 gig, I was impressed.

And again, I could not seem to get my export to work, it would always crash.
Well, I just completed the m2t with X64 and no failure, (had to get the frames right), and am exporting to tape as I write. YEA!!!!!!!!!!

So far, I have seen no issues with any s/w I have loaded, or CS3 PPro
issues.

Dave
Old December 15th, 2007, 10:45 PM   #39
Major Player

Quote:
I would have to look, but in the past with XP and vista, I thought the most I saw was like 900M. So, when I saw 1.8 gig, I was impressed.

And again, I could not seem to get my export to work, it would always crash.
Well, I just completed the m2t with X64 and no failure, (had to get the frames right), and am exporting to tape as I write. YEA!!!!!!!!!!

So far, I have seen no issues with any s/w I have loaded, or CS3 PPro
issues.

Dave
1.8 GB was right where PP3 crashed or gave errors when we were doing more complex HD (1920x1080) stuff with CF's Prospect HD. It was usually with larger stills in the mix, or even just several layers of CF'ed HD video. I guess that's were PP3 get's too greedy and just doesn't allow enough headroom for CF to work.

Congrads on the export to tape. We'll be watching for any further info when you do larger HD stuff.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase