Cineform crashes with Vista 64 Ultimate. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old January 20th, 2008, 10:00 AM   #1
Major Player

Cineform crashes with Vista 64 Ultimate.

I just got a new laptop with four gig of RAM and Vista Ultimate 64 OS. Vegas runs beautifully on it with other codecs, but crashes regularly when I try to use any clip which uses the Cineform codec.

I know that Cineform recommends XP, but I need the 64 bit OS in order to access all of my RAM, and aside from this one issue, I really have no complaints with the new OS and actually find myself liking many of the new features.

If push comes to shove, it is Cineform rather than Vista that will have to go, at least until this problem is worked out.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 11:53 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

submit a report at www.cineform.com/support it should not crash, I doubt it is Vista 64 related.
Old January 21st, 2008, 12:14 AM   #3
Major Player

I submitted a report. I am really glad to hear that you think that the problem is something that might be fixable. As I look at other codecs, none of them seem to come close to being able to do what Cineform does: mainly function as a working codec that is for all practical purposes, as good quality as uncompressed.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 10:12 AM   #4
Major Player

On my ticket, the problem is now marked "resolved". I wish that it was. It looks like I must have checked some tab or something that changed the status but I sure didn't mean to. As I was typing, the interface was extremely slow and unresponsive and I would have to pause after typing the space after each word and wait for it to catch up.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 10:29 AM   #5
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Re-open if you can. Jake will be in later this morning.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 10:57 AM   #6
Major Player

You know, I'm looking at another Cineform project and it isn't crashing at all. I can't for the life of me figure out what is different though. I obviously have some more sleuthing to do.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 11:16 AM   #7
CTO, CineForm Inc.

I expected we might find something like that. Try importing the bad project into a new project. Try and determine if it is the project or the media.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 12:00 PM   #8
Major Player

The project that has been giving me problems the last couple of days now works perfectly. I did a media pool clean, but that shouldn't make much difference since it would only clean out unused files.

Earlier today I deleted the file AJACaptureFilter.ax from my Cineform directory but that didn't seem to help initially. Maybe it did make a difference after all.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 12:27 PM   #9
Major Player

AJACaptureFilter.ax was definately the culprit. Not only does Cineform work now in Vegas, but a seemingly unrelated problem where Sony DVD Architect would crash before starting is also now fixed.
Old February 8th, 2008, 02:46 PM   #10
Major Player

Just ran into the same problem again today after updating Cineform Neo HDV. Vegas started crashing again. Deleted the culprit "ajacapturefilter.ax" and I expect everything will be fine again.

Is it possible maybe to change the installer so that if you don't have the Aja card installed, it doesn't try to install this file?
Old February 8th, 2008, 02:50 PM   #11
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Kingston View Post
Just ran into the same problem again today after updating Cineform Neo HDV. Vegas started crashing again. Deleted the culprit "ajacapturefilter.ax" and I expect everything will be fine again.

Is it possible maybe to change the installer so that if you don't have the Aja card installed, it doesn't try to install this file?
That would be nice. It is not supposed to be registered, and should be passive yet some PC it registers anyway, so it would likely work its way onto your system even if we need tested for an AJA card. :) We intend to remove it completely in the next build, it is just an "evil" component.
Old February 8th, 2008, 03:25 PM   #12
Major Player

Well even with ajacapturefilter.ax removed, since the update I'm getting constant crashing.
Old February 8th, 2008, 03:54 PM   #13
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Well even with ajacapturefilter.ax removed, since the update I'm getting constant crashing.
Contact support as there should be no other issues.
Old February 9th, 2008, 07:26 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
I know that Cineform recommends XP, but I need the 64 bit OS in order to access all of my RAM...
So CS3 and Cineform can take advantage of the extra RAM in a 64bit operating system?

My new super-computer only has XP32 and I was debating whether to get XP64 but was advised not to, since CS3 and maybe Cineform might not use the extra RAM anyway.

Should I have gone with 64bit?
Old February 9th, 2008, 07:32 PM   #15
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hewat View Post
So CS3 and Cineform can take advantage of the extra RAM in a 64bit operating system?

My new super-computer only has XP32 and I was debating whether to get XP64 but was advised not to, since CS3 and maybe Cineform might not use the extra RAM anyway.

Should I have gone with 64bit?
Vista is far more of an issue than XP64bit, work pretty much works fine if your devices have the required drivers. CS3 and CineForm are still 32-bit apps, yet there address memory does increase form 2GB or 4GB what can help in some cases.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase