NEO HD and Encoding License? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old February 16th, 2008, 12:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

NEO HD and Encoding License?

I'm a newbie trying to consolidate HDV clips (I guess you would call it destructive editing) for some 'highlight reels', so I don't have to keep what will become a large amount of footage on my hard drive. I just want to keep the clips I've selected and throw away the rest (except for the original tapes). When I tried to do this, in Vegas Studio Platinum, I got an error message that my CineForm license doesn't include the ability to encode. Which product/what license do I need to consolidate clips in Vegas while maintaining the CineForm intermediate files?

Thanks...
--
Jim
Jim Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 01:05 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

If you have NEO installed correctly you have the license you need. Reinstall it to make sure, and rename the CFHD.dll in the Vegas 8 directory (Vegas has a bug and it sometimes uses and older codec version -- very annoying.)
Old February 16th, 2008, 01:41 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
If you have NEO installed correctly you have the license you need. Reinstall it to make sure, and rename the CFHD.dll in the Vegas 8 directory (Vegas has a bug and it sometimes uses and older codec version -- very annoying.)
Yes, I was bitten by that one when I first did the install. Thanks for the (usual) quick response, and I'll try a reinstall later today.
Old February 17th, 2008, 10:09 AM   #4
Regular Crew

The reinstall solved the encoding issue... thanks. Now a truly basic question. How do I get the latest release after my 30 day purchase download expires? Going through the update or the demo download routines isn't generating an email to me, and I don't see any way to get the latest build without an email. Not that it's a big deal right now, but I do like to stay up-to-date.

Thanks again..
Old February 17th, 2008, 10:15 AM   #5
CTO, CineForm Inc.

15-day is the normal trial. Get another email account if you can't control the spam filter on your current account. We work fine through gmail.com.
Old February 17th, 2008, 01:13 PM   #6
Major Player

The OP's predicament usually occurs if NEO Player is installed when you already have a licensed CineForm product on your PC.
Old February 18th, 2008, 09:58 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Everything is working fine. I was able to consolidate CF clips within Vegas after reinstalling, although as David pointed out in a Vegas thread, VirtualDub does that nice and fast.

As for upgrading to the latest release, it looks like the download manager had an issue over the weekend, but I received emails (to both email accounts I tried) this morning. All is good.

Thanks...
--
Jim
Old February 24th, 2008, 02:58 AM   #8
Major Player

I, too, have been getting the "Not Licensed for Cineform HD encoding" error message when attempting to render an "HDV 1080-60i intermediate" file. I'm running Vegas Pro v8.0b in Vista64 and have installed (and reinstalled) the latest version of NeoPlayer (Windows v3.24 Build 154.) I've also renamed the cfhd.dll file in the Vegas folder.

Is there some sort of issue with Vista64? This combination works fine in WinXP.

John Cline
John Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 05:25 AM   #9
Major Player

A tip for editing down CineForm files on a PC with no CineForm encoding license.

1. Download VirtualDub from VirtualDub.org
2. Drag and drop CFHD clip into VirtualDub
3. Under video select 'Direct Stream Copy'
4. Navigate with the slider and use HOME and END to choose points you wish to keep, press F7 to save
5. Alternatively choose points you want to delete with HOME and END and press delete to cut those clips out, then F7 to save

The good thing about this is that your original captures are being retained, there's no re-encoding going on whatsoever (hence Direct Stream Copy).

VirtualDub is also freeware. It's no substitute for a decent NLE and won't play back CFHD files in realtime, but for quick and easy cutting down of your clips it's a godsend.
Old March 5th, 2008, 03:21 PM   #10
Trustee

I am getting the same error. Apparently something in Vegas broke about six weeks ago and my CineForm videos would not play on this workstation. So I downloaded the NEO player and all was well.

Now I cannot render using the CineForm codec in Vegas. I'm assuming because the NEO download installed some demo version of the codec. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Vegas 8.0, but it still won't work. I'm under deadline on this project (must be done today!) and I can't render. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 03:27 PM   #11
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Contact support today, tomorrow is HD Expo, so staffing at the office will be limited.
Old March 5th, 2008, 03:56 PM   #12
Trustee

Thanks, I've submitted a support request.

Since other people may face this problem, I want to put as much info here as possible.

I noticed that the codec settings dialog on this workstation shows I have v3.5.9, and the encoding options are disabled.

On another workstation that has Vegas 8.0, the codec settings dialog shows v2.8. That dialog has no options on it. I think my original hypothesis is correct - my licensed codec was overwritten by the demo version.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 04:21 PM   #13
CTO, CineForm Inc.

You install NEO Player on one, and the other is running the codec Sony ships (which is too old to play newer files.) Why not reinstall NEO HD? That is what support is going to say.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase