Need AVI for digibeta (not CF codec) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old March 3rd, 2008, 01:23 PM   #1
New Boot

Need AVI for digibeta (not CF codec)

Basically I need to produce an avi file for a pp house to put on digibeta. I have exported in PPCS3 via CF settings to a SD file but this file still uses the CF codec. I have tried exportng in Virtual Dub using Direct stream copy but it doesn't de-compress to a standard avi without the codec. My next option would be to put full processing on in Virtual Dub but the potential file size is huge

Help!!
Declan Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 01:29 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Hmmm....

Without the codec means uncompressed, which equals "huge", that is normal. This is no true standard AVIs, there are compressed AVIs and uncompressed ones. Please restate your question and goals.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 01:39 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Dave for the usual quick reply

The PP house stated my file should be about 1GB. With CF it's about 600MB and uncompressed version done in Virtual Dub is about 5GB for a 2 min pop video - surely something is wrong there. I'm pretty sure this company doesn't use CF and I don't want to be charged extra by them because they have to install the codec. Basically I just want to give it to them in a standard format and get my digibeta without any hassle.

edit: This was the pp house email 'Send a standard PAL AVI file in SD on a DVD ROM. If it is about 3 mins it should be about 1GB in size.'

Last edited by Declan Harrington; March 3rd, 2008 at 01:44 PM. Reason: extra info given
Old March 3rd, 2008, 01:58 PM   #4
Major Player

Sounds to me like they want it exported in as a DV compressed AVI. Premiere Pro should be able to do that.

5GB for two minutes of uncompressed data if you do it in VirtualDub sounds about right to me - it'll be saved as a 24-bit RGB totally uncompressed file.

Charging you for taking less than ten seconds to install a free codec sounds like an absolute rip-off, mind you, especially as CineForm will give a better quality master.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 02:05 PM   #5
New Boot

I have emailed them and asked will they accept a CF avi. Fingers crossed, just noticed some FAQs on their website and they mention CF so hopefully all will be ok.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 02:07 PM   #6
CTO, CineForm Inc.

The CineForm decoder is free, so they will not be charged, so maybe you should convince them to do higher quality.

As there is no standard, are they just asking for DV compressed AVI (4:2:0 compressed DCT -- yuck), that would be a little under 1GB. Ask them what compression they want.
Old March 6th, 2008, 10:37 AM   #7
New Boot

I think a Cineform AVI is going to be fine now. Will let you know how I get on
Declan Harrington is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase