Speedgrade - CF Raw to CFHD render issues at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old August 19th, 2008, 08:16 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Speedgrade - CF Raw to CFHD render issues

Using the latest build of P4K. I imported CF raw 1920 x 1080 24p files to Speedgrade DI and graded. No problems... But when I try to render to CFHD444 avi, I got garbled image, now with the latest build I am getting blank (black) image. The files seem to render onto the disk (the file size seems about right), but there is no image. With CFHD444 quicktime, the render stops after about 1%, says its complete, but the file is not complete. Am I missing something here?

I spoke to Patrick from Iridas, and he said they were able to convert to CineformHD444. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by Bhaskar Dhungana; August 19th, 2008 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Missing info
Bhaskar Dhungana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 09:29 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Only within SpeedGrade or is this render issue happening elsewhere?
Old August 19th, 2008, 09:42 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I think its only Speedgrade, Premiere CS3 and AE CS3 renders ok. SG renders to Uncompressed QT and DPX fine.
Bhaskar Dhungana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 09:57 PM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Sounds like SG problem, but submit a trouble ticket with Iridas and CineForm.
Old August 20th, 2008, 08:27 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Try CF quicktime

Hi Bhaska and David.
I have the same issue...dont know why.
I can render a CF quicktime no problem from within SGHD, but avi will not do. You can then try HDLink to rewrap it...but my HDLink will not like that CF quick...stil dont know why.
Another quick fix is to render uncompressed avi, though i dont know if this will preserve 444 color space and 10bit, and then reconvert with ppro or vdub to CF444.

Pedro
Pedro Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 08:59 PM   #6
Inner Circle

A related question.

My method, probably wrong, was to open my project in Premiere Pro 2 with the Prospect 2K 1280 x 720 25fps (selected in SI2K to match JVC footage.)

By much misguided fooling around I found that I could apply the look-up file to the raw footage by finding it in Explorer and double-clicking on the filename icon while Premiere was also open.

Everything visible in the project and clip view screens did a little jump and colour balanced itself according to the look-up file. So far so good. Exports and renders were fine, though I did not try a direct to CFHD export which I will now attempt.

My problem now is that when I try to apply another look-up file to different footage in this project or another project by this method, I am prompted that a look-up file has aleady been installed. This leads me to ask, is a look-up file iniextricably linked to the original footage from the camera or can it be substituted by another.

The speedgrade software is not installed on my machine. Neither is Silicon DVR as this machine is for editing only, not aquisition.

If anyone can advise here or point me to the appropriate instructions on how to do it, this would be greatly appreciated.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 09:21 PM   #7
CTO, CineForm Inc.

You seem to be missing a huge slice of the workflow. Here is how to add or change the look data for a particular file.

1) Place the clip in a Premiere Pro sequence using Prospect 4K.

2) Scrub so that clip is visible in the program monitor.

3) Open Playback Settings

4) Click on File Metadata data, welcome to new found power.

5) Under "Apply Look" Preset are all the installed 3D LUT look files, you can use any, alone with controller many other image characteristics.

Just the tip of the iceberg for what is coming.
Attached Thumbnails
Speedgrade - CF Raw to CFHD render issues-playbacksettings.jpg   Speedgrade - CF Raw to CFHD render issues-filemetadata.jpg  

Old August 20th, 2008, 10:25 PM   #8
Inner Circle

David.

Thank you again for your prompt response.

QUOTE"
"4 Click on File Metadata data, welcome to new found power."

Now I shall have to discipline myself to use this absolute power responsibly.

Last edited by Bob Hart; August 20th, 2008 at 10:29 PM. Reason: ERROR
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase