Canon 5DM2 and Cineform at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old December 11th, 2008, 12:47 PM   #1
Major Player

Canon 5DM2 and Cineform

I just did a search for the above Subject line and there wasn't a whole lot offered - yet.
With this new camera hitting the streets, I expect there to be a flood of great stuff being produced soon.

Based on what little I found here, it sounds like Cineform is fully compatable with the H264 MPEG4 files from the Canon.

My questions is this: I currently have NeoHDV, which I know is only 1440x1080 and therefor not great for the 1920x1080 30p of the 5DM2.
If I'm editing on Vegas 8 and CS3 (maybe CS4 soon), which Cineform do I want to go with - assuming budget is a concern (it's not insurmountable, but it is a concern).

NeoHD? Prospect? Aspect?

Also, If I ever decided to deliver in BluRay, I will need to do so in 24P, from what I understand. Is Cineform the best way to convert the 30P from the camera into 24P? Or should I allow the edit platform to do that?
In other words, should I do that on ingest, or in Post?

Your advice is greatly appreciated.
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 01:14 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

NEO HD or Prospect HD are the minimum entry points for supporting this camera. Prospect HD adds a tight real-time Premeire integration, although NEO HD will work with Premiere just without acceleration. 30p to 24p conversion is not fun. There is no high quality way to do it (we do allow it though,) likely better to use the 60i mode of BluRay.
Old December 11th, 2008, 02:10 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks David.
My concern about 60i was that I heard one would loose about 40% of the 30p's resolution. Not fun.

Thanks again.
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase