Error Compiling Movie: Unknown Error at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old January 23rd, 2009, 07:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Error Compiling Movie: Unknown Error

Hello, I've been using Adobe Premiere Pro w/ CS3 and Cineform (via AspectHD 5.3) for several months now and haven't had any problems--until now. Every time I try to render a sequence (not even trying to export here), I get the following error: "Error Compiling Movie: Unknown Error". I have plenty of disk space (238Gigs) and the sequence is only 14 minutes long.

I tried searching in the forums here but the search feature seems to be broken. Any suggestions?
William Middleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 09:22 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I get this all the time. Usually a reboot solves it, but if not, try importing the sequence into a new project -- sort of generic slap upside the head whenever Premiere goes off on you for no reason.

If that doesn't work you might have a corrupt clip.

Have you recently updated either Premiere or Aspect?
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 10:23 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yeah, I've rebooted a 1/2 dozen times already and that's not doing the trick. How exactly do I import an existing sequence into a new project? I've already tried exporting as an .edl and importing that into a new project, to no avail. Is there some other way?
Old January 23rd, 2009, 10:44 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Create a new Project. Go to File > Import and find the old project, double-click.

A new sequence will show up in you project panel. Expand it and it should look just like the old project. Double click the sequence and it should be right on your timeline.

I think that's close. I'm doing this from memory as my editing PC is in the shop for like the ninth time....
Old January 23rd, 2009, 11:01 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Good suggestion, but it didn't help.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 11:11 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Hm. So possibly a corrupt asset or a bad install of a recent update, if you've done any. You're just trying to render a preview? You could try deleting all your preview renders, I suppose.

Any complicated effects involved, especially in unrendered areas? How many video/audio tracks? How many clips? Titles? Project settings? File types? Added any audio drivers or new codecs lately? System specs? Other software running, including anti-virus or a live Internet connection? Screen-saver and power-down settings disabled?

Might be time for a support call to Cineform, or maybe their knowledgebase has something about this... as might Adobe's.

Search here appears to be working -- here are some related threads.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/cineform-...own-error.html

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/cineform-...nking-p4k.html

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/cineform-...ere-2-0-a.html

No solutions but lots of clues. Seems to be memory-related.

What Aspect and CS3 builds are you using?
Old January 24th, 2009, 02:55 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I'm on build 119 and CS3 3.2.0. I did recently install After Effects Trial version and had to re-install AspectHD to get AE to export properly. Not sure if that's the wrench thrown in or not.

Also, My audio conform files are all on the main hard drive with the OS and PPro, and they're eating up alot of space--from a 250gig down to a 40gig drive at the moment. don't know if that would cause a problem or not either.

Also just submitted a ticket with Cineform.
Old January 24th, 2009, 03:22 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Build 131 is the latest (and final) update for Aspect. You might consider trying that -- maybe there's a bug somewhere in your version. And your file location is probably not helping, although it may not be the actual cause.

There's actually quite a lot of info about optimizing your system to reduce crashes on the Adobe help site. You might want to go down their checklist -- there isn't a fussier program in the world than Premiere.

Last edited by Adam Gold; January 24th, 2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old January 25th, 2009, 08:15 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I'll check into the latest build. I haven't had any major problems with Premiere/Cineform in a long while. Actually, once I had everything installed and configured correctly, it's been a pretty reliable system. Bear in mind I do a reboot usually once a day to ensure the best stability. This error though is stumping me. Hopefully Cineform support will have some answers for me as well.
Old February 12th, 2009, 09:10 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I meant to post this earlier, but the update to AspectHD 5.4 solved the problem.
William Middleton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase