Premiere CS4 and NeoScene - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old February 26th, 2009, 10:07 PM   #16
CTO, CineForm Inc.

No such, luck Nero 9 and Neo Scene are work fine together on my home PC.
Old February 26th, 2009, 11:16 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Paisley View Post
The benefit of Neo Scene/Cineform is that when everything is working properly, the Cineform HD codec is *much* easier to edit/cut with than the native H.264 files that the 5D MK II generates. Assuming you used the default settings for the codec (medium quality), the cineform output files should be very close to the same file size as the source files.

What you've described sounds very similar to a bug that I observed. On two different machines, using Neo Scene I transcoded the exact same file (about 127MB) with the exact same cineform codec settings. One machine produced a cineform file that was about 131MB, while the other machine generated a cineform file that was 736MB. I filed a trouble ticket last week but it hasn't been resolved yet.

I am most thankful that Cineform decided to support the 5d Mk II with their "low end" Neo Scene product, but it seems like there are a few glitches that need to be worked out, as I am having a problem with Neo Scene crashing on the same machine that produced the oversized file and another problem involving truncated video (observed on both machines).
I need to post an update on this - with all of the testing I did, I just realized that the filesizes I reported above were for one of the files where I was observing the video truncation issue. That issue has suddenly cleared up on my "clean" virtual machine install but it remains on my main OS install (even after deinstalling Nero...). The actual filesize of the FULL Cineform HD transcoded clip ended up being 231MB (with medium quality). So if you're transcoding videos with Neo Scene and they're nearly 2x the size of the source video, then I think that's probably correct.
Keith Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 11:34 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
No such, luck Nero 9 and Neo Scene are work fine together on my home PC.
Ok, I can now report that I removed Nero Suite 7.x from my system and successfully transcoded one of the large (3.26GB) 5d Mk II clips that was previously crashing Neo Scene. The final filesize of the cineform file (medium quality, no smart rendering) was 5.67GB.

I also tried encoding the one file that was resulting in truncated video and that seems to be working too.

So far, so good. Hopefully Cineform can figure out why Neo Scene can't co-exist with Nero 7. I have noticed one or two other minor issues that I will mention in another thread/trouble ticket.
Keith Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 12:21 AM   #19
Regular Crew

I just bought NeoScene a day or two ago. I'm using HV20 files, captured and converted to 24p with NeoScene.

Running CS4 with the 4.0.1 update. I've found now since using the NeoScene converted files, ImporterProcessServer.exe crashes on me every now and then. Either at the start, or just sometimes right in the middle of editing.
Amish Solanki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 08:09 AM   #20
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Solanki View Post
I just bought NeoScene a day or two ago. I'm using HV20 files, captured and converted to 24p with NeoScene.

Running CS4 with the 4.0.1 update. I've found now since using the NeoScene converted files, ImporterProcessServer.exe crashes on me every now and then. Either at the start, or just sometimes right in the middle of editing.
I was having the same problem a few days ago, but the ImporterProcessServer would die during NeoScene file import. At least you have been able to begin editing them.

David Newman (from Cineform) suggested the following:
"...Remove any file call *CFHD*.prm from
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\CS4\MediaCore"

Unfortunately, I didn't have any files matching that description. For my situation, the fix was to reload my OS & applications, being careful not to pollute my codec pool with any unnecessary codecs.

Your issue may be different, but mine appears to have been caused by another application which interfered with NeoScene's ability to convert the 5D MII MOV's. The resulting AVI's were somehow tainted and would make the ImporterProcessServer blow up.

Check for David's fix above. It that doesn't fix you up, I suggest opening a case with Cineform. They've been responsive within 24 hours for me.

Last edited by Brad Pritchett; February 28th, 2009 at 12:44 PM.
Brad Pritchett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 10:23 AM   #21
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Amish,

We don't have a report of that issue. Please file a trouble ticket with CineForm Support.
Old February 28th, 2009, 12:48 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Thanks guys for the quick input. I actually did put in a ticket initially (got a reply back about the CFHD file), and checked for that file, but nothing was there.

I'd got to being able to bring in the files, (put on timeline, and got a yellowbar on the top). The playback was extremely choppy however. After I put in some transitions etc (had to render) the playback was a little better.

It eventually came to a point where it just kept crashing. I tried to export some a short 20sec clip using Media Encoder, and again it kept crashing.

I've removed CS4 all together as of right now. I also noticed I had quicktime alternative installed (I've had vista 64x installed since Nov 2006). So I'm really just removing all 'crap' that may be installed. Yes I figure I should probably get a new computer/reinstall windows, but so far it's been running fine for me (my system is a dual opteron 1.8g oc'd to 2.4g with 4GB of ram).

So I'm gonna remove whatever I can from my system, reinstall CS4, and give it another go. I'm taking a guess I should install cineform AFTER cs4 has been installed?
Old March 3rd, 2009, 02:39 PM   #23
Major Player

Finally NeoScene (1.1.2) for CS4 is out. Waited nearly 1.5 month and what a disappointment it turn out. I am getting this ImporterProcessServer.exe crach during NeoScene file import also.

Nowhere to be found.

Brand new machine i7-940 (custum made), 12 gig RAM and vista 64. Did manage to run a few clips. Very smooth even with some effects.
Ann Bens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 03:47 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Bens View Post
Finally NeoScene (1.1.2) for CS4 is out. Waited nearly 1.5 month and what a disappointment it turn out. I am getting this ImporterProcessServer.exe crach during NeoScene file import also.

Nowhere to be found.

Brand new machine i7-940 (custum made), 12 gig RAM and vista 64. Did manage to run a few clips. Very smooth even with some effects.

As per David's post here regarding my same problem with the ImporterProcessServer.exe issue, it's Adobe's issue.

The odd thing is this doesn't happen if I don't use cineform files.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 05:49 PM   #25
Major Player

i filed a bug report at Adobe.
Ann Bens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase