Nero breaks NeoScene? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old February 26th, 2009, 07:06 PM   #1
New Boot

Nero breaks NeoScene?

Has anyone run into compatibility issues between NeoScene and Nero?

I'm running Nero 7.11.10 and the latest NeoScene 1.1.0 build 108

On a clean system, I've loaded NeoScene and processed several files through it with no visible issues. When I load Nero Burning ROM (the DVD/CD burning component ONLY), NeoScene no longer functions properly. The product takes 20-30mins to render 5 mins of video and the output files from NeoScene are 500-800% bigger than the originals.

I've opened a ticket with Cineform, but in the event they refuse support since Nero breaks Neo and not the other way around, can I get some recommendations on a DVD/CD/BR burning utility that does work with Neo?
Brad Pritchett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 07:40 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Pritchett View Post
Has anyone run into compatibility issues between NeoScene and Nero?

I'm running Nero 7.11.10 and the latest NeoScene 1.1.0 build 108

On a clean system, I've loaded NeoScene and processed several files through it with no visible issues. When I load Nero Burning ROM (the DVD/CD burning component ONLY), NeoScene no longer functions properly. The product takes 20-30mins to render 5 mins of video and the output files from NeoScene are 500-800% bigger than the originals.

I've opened a ticket with Cineform, but in the event they refuse support since Nero breaks Neo and not the other way around, can I get some recommendations on a DVD/CD/BR burning utility that does work with Neo?
wow, you could be on to the root cause here! I didn't even think of Nero but it makes sense since the Nero Suite installs so much garbage. I bought it because I found the DVD/CD burning to be really reliable. I too have Nero 7.something and have the render crashing problem. Hopefully this is the problem and Cineform can get this figured out!
Keith Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 09:07 PM   #3
Major Player

I know my "Messy" system has an old version of Nero on it (version 5, if I remember correctly). I'm not sure if I loaded Nero on my "Clean" system (actually the same system, just dual-booted). I want to say it isn't, but then how would I create DVDs if it wasn't? :-) I'll check tonight and update the thread. I added this information to my current Trouble Ticket with Cineform earlier today.

Julian
Julian Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 10:08 PM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Well it is not happening with Nero 9.
Old February 26th, 2009, 10:57 PM   #5
New Boot

Check out Nero 7.11.10
Nero - Nero 7 - Update

I can re-create this all day on a Vista 64 SP1 system with nothing but Quicktime,PPro CS4, and NeoScene installed. When I install Nero, NeoScene breaks. When I uninstall Nero, it works.
Old February 26th, 2009, 11:43 PM   #6
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Doubt I can into just an update. I don't own Nero, that is why I tried Nero 9. Can you see if the trial on Nero 9 breaks your system. Thanks.
Old February 27th, 2009, 12:10 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
Doubt I can into just an update. I don't own Nero, that is why I tried Nero 9. Can you see if the trial on Nero 9 breaks your system. Thanks.
I posted this in another thread but maybe it's more appropriate here:

Ok, I can now report that I removed Nero Suite 7.x from my system and successfully transcoded one of the large (3.26GB) 5d Mk II clips that was previously crashing Neo Scene. The final filesize of the cineform file (medium quality, no smart rendering) was 5.67GB.

I also tried encoding the one file that was resulting in truncated video and that seems to be working too.

So far, so good. Hopefully Cineform can figure out why Neo Scene can't co-exist with Nero 7. I have noticed one or two other minor issues that I will mention in another thread/trouble ticket.
Keith Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 08:24 AM   #8
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
David,
Although the link I posted may say "update", it is a full install. That is the installer I used on my system. It contains the full version.

If you want me to do compatibility testing for you with Nero 9, I'll do it, but it will cost you $30 (I want that money back).

On another topic, David, is your email down? I sent a reply to you two days ago from my gmail account, but I've gotten message delivery delay notifications yesterday and today.
Old February 27th, 2009, 01:36 PM   #9
Sponsor: CineForm

We're working on reproducing this here at CineForm today. We'll keep you posted.
Jake Segraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 09:09 PM   #10
New Boot

Jake,

Its been awhile since your last update. Have you been able to duplicate this?
Old March 9th, 2009, 12:26 AM   #11
Major Player

Brad,

They have been able to recreate it and are working on a fix. I sent them original MOV files, the large converted AVI files, and the correctly converted AVI files. Nero causes Neo Scene to use the wrong audio demuxer.

Julian
Julian Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 12:56 PM   #12
New Boot

Thank you Julian!

I'm glad someone's in the loop on this issue.

I thought Cineform might feel obligated (or at least inclined) to give me an update, considering I was the one who figured out that Nero was the problem.

I opened my ticket on Feb 26, and Cineform hasn't updated it since the 27th. I know they're a small operation, but they could at least drop me a line to say I was correct in my suspicion that Nero was the culprit...
Old March 10th, 2009, 01:05 PM   #13
CTO, CineForm Inc.

No point to that, as we don't have a solution yet (other than upgrading to Nero 9, that works fine.) The audio filter in Nero 7 is broken.
Old March 10th, 2009, 01:47 PM   #14
New Boot

Thanks David. I understand things take time. Please, just let me know you're still working my case. I pinged your support on the 5th for an update but haven't had a response.

So even though Nero breaks Cineform, is Cineform going to work out a fix? That is very nice of you. I realize you could tell those of us impacted by this issue to go pound dirt. Thanks for looking out for us.

As an FYI to the other readers, since I can't use Nero, I've been trying other free DVD/CD burners. I've been happy with imgburn (available at imgburn.com). Its very lightweight and seems to do a good job with burning DVD's and making images. I haven't run into any compatibility issues.
Old March 10th, 2009, 01:50 PM   #15
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Nero 9 works fine, so they fixed their problem, but we are also looking at a fix. As our plate is pretty full at the moment, I don't know when the patch will make it in.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase