Can not render Cineform AVI files, Please help! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old April 30th, 2009, 06:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Can not render Cineform AVI files, Please help!

Ive contacted cineform to help me resolve this issue. Jake has been helpfully trying to get me back on track but no luck so far. Hopefully anyone else has any good ideas.

I got so fetup with my rig, so i reinstalled everything!

I reinstalled vista 64bit ultimate.
reinstalled vegas 8.0c
reinstalled latest neo hdv
and still can not render a 5 min. project using cineform codec

Is there something im doing wrong or thats not enabled? This is so weird , i never had a problem.
3.6 ghz intel quad core and 6 gig of ddr2 800 ram and this should render in like no time. Last night i started rendering at 8 p.m. and woke up this morning and it was at 66 percent only. And froze. Other times it would reach around 30 percent.

Can you guys help me , please. I choose render as --AVI -- HDV1080i60 --- best quality --- cineform codec 4.3.4 something (cant remember the exact number here , im at work ) --- decode , encode rec709 ---- high hd--- framerate auto

ohh , if i unclick the use opendml it renders sooo fast but freezes around 2 gig. But it renders sooooo fast. Should i try installing a trial version of neo scene and see if i can render? should i put XP on ? Im out of ideas and i need to get my project done.

Thanks , Chris
Chris Wysocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 09:11 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Neo HDV is old now. Try Neo Scene or Neo HD v4.
Old April 30th, 2009, 09:19 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I know its old but it still does everything i need. Im gonna try the trial neo scene and see if that works.
Old May 9th, 2009, 04:23 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Still trying to figure this out , :(

Ok , so i tried many new thing with out luck. I dont think its a software problem though i could be wrong. I tried installing XP,vegas, neo hdv and no luck.

Neo Scene trial didnt work either. I took xp off and went back to vista ultimate. I have my OS and programs on a raptor drive and i have all my media video files on two 1 Tarabye drives mirrored. the are the same make and model and new had a problem before. I reformated both drives and put the media back on and then defraged them with no luck again.

Tonight im going to try setting it to use one thread only. Im outta ideas , I tried rendering them to other hd codecs that vegas offers with the same result , So it cant be cineform.
Old May 10th, 2009, 05:07 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I got it working. I had to switch from 4 threads to 1. What does that mean? Does my Core 2 Quad 9650 not have enough power to do 4 threads? I didnt have a problem running 4 threads with a core 2 duo. What gives?
Old May 10th, 2009, 05:58 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wysocki View Post
I got it working. I had to switch from 4 threads to 1. What does that mean? Does my Core 2 Quad 9650 not have enough power to do 4 threads? I didnt have a problem running 4 threads with a core 2 duo. What gives?
Before you waste too much time on this, Vegas Pro 9 comes out this week. There are a lot of problems with Vegas 8 when using more than two cores. Some people can make it work like a charm and others just tear their hair out trying to make it work.

Sony Creative Software - Online Store - Upgrade to Vegas Pro 9 from Vegas

The upgrade price is listed as $234.95, but there is an additional $50 discount, if you order before June 30, 2009. You also get your choice of additional free Sony software:

Sony Creative Software - Forums - Vegas Pro - Video Messages

Cineform is planning on supporting Vegas Pro 9 64 bit:

Sony Creative Software - Forums - Vegas Pro - Video Messages
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 07:29 AM   #7
Regular Crew

do you know if the cineform codec work with vegas 9 64bit?
Old May 11th, 2009, 11:46 AM   #8
Major Player

In the last link that I posted, David Newman from Cineform says they are working on a 64-bit codec for Vegas 64 bit. In Vegas 8.1 64 bit, you can import and export Cineform, but only as MOV files (not AVI), so I would suspect that this workflow still works for Vegas 9 64 bit. I won't be able to check that (or AVI files) until later, since I haven't downloaded my Vegas 9 upgrade yet.

The problem with Vegas 8.1 64 bit is that it uses 32 bit codecs via a surrogate program, which the main executable spawns whenever importing or rendering occurs. Unfortunately, that whole process did not work correctly for AVI files, needing a 32 bit codec, like Cineform. It's possible that this issue was fixed in Vegas 9.0.
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 04:24 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wysocki View Post
do you know if the cineform codec work with vegas 9 64bit?

After reading the comments on the Sony Vegas message board, I'm holding off on installing Vegas 9. Here's what I gathered from the various comments. You can still import and render CFHD MOV files with Vegas 9 64 bit, but no AVI support. One big problem that seems universal the 32 bit version is that the CFHD preview rates (only from the Vegas time line) have fallen off drastically from Vegas 8 to Vegas 9. Vegas 9 now has the preview mode defaulting to using all available CPU cores, where in Vegas 8, it only would use one core for previewing. This seems like it would make previewing faster, but apparently, it doesn't.
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase