Sony 8.1 64-bit and cineform? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old May 1st, 2009, 08:37 AM   #1
Major Player

Sony 8.1 64-bit and cineform?

Well, I have been using PPCS4 and AECS4 on my new machine:

2 xeon quad core's (2GHz)
12GB
64 Vista ultimate
nvida quadro nvs 295

and the results have NOT been very impressive. CS4 is a mess! At first i thought it was my computer because i initially had only 6GB of RAM but with 12GB of RAM there should be no issues with the machine anymore. Crashes a lot and render times are quite slow for such a powerful machine.

I am highly considering trying out Sony Vegas since it is made for 64-bit! Any users out there? Are you happy? Which cineform package can you use with vegas? I own Prospect hd which may or may not be compatible. :(

Look forward to hearing from vegas users out there on whether it is a great video editing system or not.

Simon
Simon Zimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2009, 09:06 AM   #2
Major Player

Look here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/cineform-...atibility.html

Vegas 8.1 (64 bit) will neither read nor write Cineform AVI files, but Cineform is working on a solution, which is referenced in the thread linked above. Vegas 8.1 does read and write Cineform MOV files properly. If you already have Prospect HD, the components that come with it, will allow you to use Vegas 8.0c (32bit), but there will not be any acceleration of previews, etc., since that feature is specific to Adobe Premiere. Vegas Pro 9 (both 32 and 64 bit) has been announced and can be pre-ordered. Vegas Pro 8 has a downloadable full-featured demo, so you can test out workflows before buying.
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2009, 09:55 AM   #3
Major Player

:(

Looks like I am stuck. I thought Sony vegas 64-bit was already out.

Thanks for the information.

Simon
Old May 1st, 2009, 11:52 AM   #4
Major Player

It is out. Vegas 8.1 is 64 bit. It just doesn't work with CFHD AVI files yet. The other thread details Cineform's progress on fixing this.
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 10:48 AM   #5
New Boot

Simon

If I were you, I would stay with Vegas 32 bit (or even stay with a 32bit windows XP or Vista).

I have a computer with Vista 32 bit. The OS can only use 3.2 gig of my total memory. I configure a ramdrive of 4.5 gig and move my temporary files there (photoshop, vegas and windows page file).

Needless to say, the system is very fast when it comes to access files on the ramdrive. Photoshop takes no time to open a 300meg psd file. When windows uses a page file, I don't notice any slow down at all.

In your specific situation, you may want to render to your ramdrive and see if the speed would improve. In vegas, I don't think you'll gain speed by going beyond 3 gig of memory.

I don't have a 64bit OS to benchmark so I don't know if I would gain any speed going to 64bit rather than my current setup. I am relatively happy with the setup I have and see no need to change in the near future.
Khanh Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 12:06 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks for the advice but I have Vista 64 and 12 gigs of RAM so I need software that can take advantage of the RAM.

I look forward to the reviews of Vegas 9 (64-bit version).

Simon
Old May 10th, 2009, 08:05 PM   #7
Major Player

Vegas Pro 9:

So how is Vegas Pro 9?

I am curious to here how it runs on the 64-bit machines?

Simon
Old May 11th, 2009, 02:06 PM   #8
New Boot

I just bought Vegas Pro 9 and much to my disappointment, Cineform still does not work with the 64 bit version (Vegas Pro 9 ships with both 32 bit and 64 bit versions).
Michael Gyori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 02:42 PM   #9
Major Player

I understand your frustration. I am dealing with the PPCS4 / Prospect HD issue myself.

How is Vegas Pro 9 besides the issue with Cineform?

Faster?

Better than PPCS4?

Would love to hear a review. I am getting tired of PPCS4. :(
Old May 11th, 2009, 03:36 PM   #10
Major Player

CineForm works fine in 64 bit OSs - there is no issue with XP 64 or Vista 64. Most all apps (PPro, AE, etc) except Vegas 8.1 and 9 are 32-bit apps that work fine in 64 bit OSs.

Vegas is a unique case. Vegas 8.1 and Vegas 9 require codec versions that are compiled as 64-bit components, plus Vegas broke compatibility with our 32-bit modes (their problem). CineForm requires new development to support 64-bit in Vegas 9, and we'll get that done at some point, but this is not a CineForm "problem", it is a new development effort. So you can yell at Sony about breaking 32-bit support, and you can request that we add 64-bit support, which we will.
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 03:47 PM   #11

At the risk of sticking my snoz where it doesn't belong, I will say that Sony Vegas programmers are absolutely notorious for breaking SDK's and then, never fixing them. They did it to Blackmagic Design...and now Cineform.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 03:53 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Post deleted and put into different post more consistent with issue.

Last edited by James Campbell; May 11th, 2009 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Put into different post
James Campbell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase