Remaster Freezes During Conversion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old May 22nd, 2009, 09:19 PM   #1
New Boot

Remaster Freezes During Conversion

I captured an HDV tape on my Macbook Pro using the Quicktime player. When I use Remaster in NeoHD to convert the file it freezes about ¾ the way in.

I tried it twice and it seems to freeze at the same spot.

Gordon
Gordon Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 08:42 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I am having the same problem but Im converting AVCHD files, have you had any successful conversion yet?
John Palaganas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 10:45 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Suggestion

I was also having similar problems converting 5DmII file conversions and when I copied the source to a different drive, it worked. Use one drive for your source and on a separate drive your target. I hope this works for you too.
Rick Casillas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 11:35 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Lake View Post
I captured an HDV tape on my Macbook Pro using the Quicktime player. When I use Remaster in NeoHD to convert the file it freezes about ¾ the way in.

I tried it twice and it seems to freeze at the same spot.

Gordon
I have seen that as well. For some reason the tape has a frame that has bad data. QuickTime player can play it, but if an application calls the QuickTime decompressor routine to get the frame, QuickTime hangs.

In testing I managed to create a 2 second clip that would fail reliably on the same frame. I started the capture just before the section that freezes. There is no error reported on the read of the compressed data, and when passed to the QuickTime decompressor, it never returns.
Craig Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 08:22 AM   #5
New Boot

So because I was able to capture the HDV footage into Final Cut ok and identify the frame that Remaster stops on, would the solution be to split the clip before and after the offending frame in Final Cut and render the two new clips so they can be converted in Remaster?

If this is the solution, what codec should the files be rendered to if the original clips were HDV when captured to Final Cut?

Gordon
Gordon Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 05:48 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Render the clips using the original format without re-render. That will just copy the frames.
Craig Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 09:11 PM   #7
New Boot

Uh oh.

This is happening to me now. Getting to frame 295 or so out of 300 and freezing permanently. I tried exporting in multiple formats, and it's the same outcome (in some cases, it freezes earlier) and if I try to cut the file in half, it freezes before completing that half.

Was there ever a workaround for this?
Jason Rosenfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 10:35 PM   #8
New Boot

OK. this is officially making me crazy. If I create a loop file that is 150 frames, it craps out at 147. if I create a file that is 210 frames, it craps out at 198. No matter what I do, it doesn't complete the remaster. If I've tried importing HDV, uncompressed 10 bit quicktime, and it does not matter.
Attached Thumbnails
Remaster Freezes During Conversion-screen-shot-2010-07-18-12.36.35-am.png  

Last edited by Jason Rosenfeld; July 17th, 2010 at 10:37 PM. Reason: added a screen grab
Old July 17th, 2010, 10:51 PM   #9
New Boot

And it even happens when I use a codec like Apple Intermediate Codec as the source. It keeps freezing at the same frame too - now it's frame 286 out of 300. How can this be? It's a completely re-encoded source file and bitrates are TOTALLY different.
Old July 17th, 2010, 11:52 PM   #10
New Boot

Well, whatever it was, the newest update fixed it.

Whew. /wipes brow.
Jason Rosenfeld is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase