NeoHD/CS5 with Intel HD video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old July 15th, 2010, 05:07 PM   #1
Major Player

NeoHD/CS5 with Intel HD video

I am looking at inexpensive laptops to rough out timelines in CS5 with NeoHD while on the road (no effects, single layer of video). Just something simple to be able to rough cut and start lining things up on the timeline. I have been finding deals on i5 laptops, but they have the Intel HD Graphics card rather than an ATI or Nvidia. Not being up on performance of that card, would that be adequate for what I need? I understand I won't get MPE playback, but hoping that the Cineform codec can work it's magic on a system like this? Anyone have any advice?
Craig Coston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 01:18 AM   #2
Major Player

Well after no responses I decided to just give it a try. Got an Acer 15.6" laptop from OfficeMax today that has an i3 350m processor, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 5400 RPM hard drive, and Intel HD graphics. Got it for $499 on sale, figured it was worth the risk.

Good news: it works for what I need. It's not a primary editing system by any means, but it will be perfect for lining up clips in a timeline so that I can get a head start on edits while flying or what not away from home. Using it with Cineform right now, haven't tested with straight clips from the Canon 7D.

Performance: With clips being on my OS drive (the only drive on this thing) just to test, the system played back clips from the timeline without any visible stuttering of any sort. Seems perfectly fluid with a single layer, even with a bit of color correction (fast color corrector). This is on a 5400rpm drive, keep in mind. Pretty fantastic for my needs. I think I might upgrade the primary drive to a 500GB Seagate Momentus XT though (hybrid platter/SSD drive) just to get a bit more out of it.

Conclusion: Yeah, it works. The system is pretty responsive all around, feels great. Head and shoulders above older generation processors, especially the 1.6 Ghz Pentium M that was on my last laptop. It's not nearly as fast as my 4.2ghz i7 desktop with 12 GB RAM, but I don't need it to be. This is perfect for me and at a price I could swallow.
Craig Coston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase