Encoding Speed of CFHD AVI at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old June 17th, 2009, 06:51 PM   #1
Major Player

Encoding Speed of CFHD AVI

I'm sitting here trying to prep a test project for a trouble ticket I have open, and noticed something. I cut out about a minute from a longer clip, where the longer clip has an associated First Light profile. When I export that 1 minute clip to a CFHD AVI, the export takes about 6 minutes. No other effects aside from the First Light profile.

When I bring that 1 minute export back into Premiere and monkey around with getting my test export setup, and then export the 1 minute clip again (this time, NO First Light, and no other effects), the 1 minute export takes about 2.5 minutes.

In this instance, it seems that the clip without First Light attached took a much shorter time to export and used a good 55% of the CPU, while the clip WITH First Light took a long long time (relative to clip length), and only sucked up about 15% of the CPU.

Is this expected behavior when rendering out to CFHD AVI from CFHD AVI? Or could the First Light linkage be the reason that Premiere Pro appears to be starving the CF encoder engine?

Thanks,
Matt
Matt Vanecek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2009, 08:57 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Everything sound right expect for the CPU % numbers. A First Light enhanced clips do have more work to do, and that will mean a little longer rendering (although faster than adding the equivalent filters) and MORE cpu usage (not less.)
Old June 23rd, 2009, 10:12 AM   #3
Major Player

Is there anything I can do to find out why the CPU usage is so low when rendering First Light-enhanced clips?
Thanks,
Matt
Matt Vanecek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 09:00 PM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Have support reproduce this.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase