5D Moire and Aliasing and Cineform at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old June 22nd, 2009, 03:25 PM   #1
Inner Circle

5D Moire and Aliasing and Cineform

Am I imagining things or is it possible the conversion to CFHD reduces moire and aliasing showing up in the original footage? Anybody have an explanation of why, if that is so ?
Old June 22nd, 2009, 04:30 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Am I imagining things or is it possible the conversion to CFHD reduces moire and aliasing showing up in the original footage? Anybody have an explanation of why, if that is so ?
I had not noticed any difference - but I wasn't looking. I have some clips where aliasing is a real problem so I'll take a look this evening.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 07:34 PM   #3
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Based on the title I thought this was going to me a bad thread. :) The 5D moire/aliasing is due the wrong opictal low pass filter in the camera, and/or no vertical software filter (not summing multiple lines.) I'm sure you guys know that, so that was for the casual reader. Generally nothing much can be done for moire, but aliasing can be slightly reduced with wavelet compression vs DCT (we are talking very slight.) Maybe you are seeing that.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 09:31 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Sorry David, did not mean to scare you.... i'll see if I can come up with an example.

Last edited by Chris Barcellos; June 22nd, 2009 at 10:02 PM.
Chris Barcellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 09:45 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Example

Here are two grabs, one from cineform, and one right from original clip. Check out shirt under chin of man in foreground.

I am not converting at highest level from NeoScene, perhaps that is keep the moire down ?

(now edited with proper grabs)
Attached Thumbnails
5D Moire and Aliasing and Cineform-fromoriginalmp4.jpg   5D Moire and Aliasing and Cineform-fromcineformconversion.jpg  

Old June 22nd, 2009, 09:57 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles W. Hull View Post
I had not noticed any difference - but I wasn't looking. I have some clips where aliasing is a real problem so I'll take a look this evening.
Chris, my sample clip looks the same, MOV and AVI. This is a clip of some power line construction, a crew working with a helicopter. The power lines have heavy aliasing.

I brought both the MOV and AVI into CS4 and exported them to MP4 so I could see them in the same viewer with the same codec (CoreAVC). I can't tell them apart.

Chuck
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 10:03 PM   #7
CTO, CineForm Inc.

I think the default decoders Quickime is using has edge enhancement (bad.) Look at the dark outlines around the white text on the bottle label. You can add edge enhancement, but you can't remove it, so we don't do that. I think that is what you are seeing.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase