Prospect also converts 5d footage right? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old June 14th, 2009, 12:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Prospect also converts 5d footage right?

I'm about to buy prospect for my canon 5d mark II... I'm not going to need neoscene to convert my footage to a 29.97 avi am I?
Jeff McCutcheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Yes, the high-end tools have all the features of the lower end ones, plus much more. Canon 5D when converted within HDLink (tool included with Neo and Prospect) will automatically produce 29.97 output.
Old June 18th, 2009, 04:24 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
Yes, the high-end tools have all the features of the lower end ones, plus much more. Canon 5D when converted within HDLink (tool included with Neo and Prospect) will automatically produce 29.97 output.
Quick question. If i where to convert my 5D footage with Prospect and selected filmscan2.... would there be a difference between "high" from neoscene and "filmscan 2" from Prospect?

Does prospect even have that option anymore in the newer versions?
Old June 18th, 2009, 04:30 PM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Prospect HD/4K and Neo HD/4K all have Filmscan 1 and 2 encoding mode that are higher quality than Neo Scene's "High". For a compressed source like the 5D, FS2 is likely overkill, yet FS1 has a slight quality edge over High, for some it is worth it. If we can someday do HMDI live captures off the 5D, then the benefits for Filmscan 1 & 2 will really show.
Old June 19th, 2009, 02:08 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Prospect HD/4K and Neo HD/4K all have Filmscan 1 and 2 encoding mode that are higher quality than Neo Scene's "High". For a compressed source like the 5D, FS2 is likely overkill, yet FS1 has a slight quality edge over High, for some it is worth it. If we can someday do HMDI live captures off the 5D, then the benefits for Filmscan 1 & 2 will really show.
Ahh ok cool, Is it possible to have filmscan 1 & 2 as an option in Neoscene?

Another question.. Are the raw avi files created by Neoscene suppose to be slightly darker then the original raw mov. files?

Also, after doing some heavy colour correction work to the converted neoscene avi files... Ive noticed that the banding lines on the avi clips are more defined compared to the original mov clips.

I want to show u the clips im actually working on but i can't due to NDA papers. Sooo, i filmed a quick test and exported frame grabs from the same point. Both images are raw, except that Ive applied a simple contrast colour filter to both clips to exaggerate the banding lines.

mov frame grab : http://www.ozan.ca/5d/mov%20(0-00-06-15).tif

avi frame grab : http://www.ozan.ca/5d/avi%20(0%3b00%3b06%3b15).tif

Does this have anything to do with the 8bit to 10bit conversion?
Old June 21st, 2009, 08:10 AM   #6
Tourist

5D Conversion...

Does/can Prospect convert 5D material 29,97 directly to 24P?
Ger Adrichem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2009, 12:00 PM   #7
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozan Biron View Post

Another question.. Are the raw avi files created by Neoscene suppose to be slightly darker then the original raw mov. files?

Also, after doing some heavy colour correction work to the converted neoscene avi files... Ive noticed that the banding lines on the avi clips are more defined compared to the original mov clips.

I want to show u the clips im actually working on but i can't due to NDA papers. Sooo, i filmed a quick test and exported frame grabs from the same point. Both images are raw, except that Ive applied a simple contrast colour filter to both clips to exaggerate the banding lines.

mov frame grab : http://www.ozan.ca/5d/mov%20(0-00-06-15).tif

avi frame grab : http://www.ozan.ca/5d/avi%20(0%3b00%3b06%3b15).tif

Does this have anything to do with the 8bit to 10bit conversion?
Neo Scene does have the high quality levels, that is one of the product differences, so it will be added to the lower end tool.

The MOV handling of the 5D have been erratic, different versions QuickTime result if different output -- we believe the CineForm approach to be correct. Both images contain the same poor banding, so the failure is in you NLE / processing path. Do the same in a 16-bit or 32-bit mode under AE, and will not have the issue. 8-bit processing for color correction is simply not a good idea.

Note: this is a Prospect thread, Prospect natively uses 32-bit processing and has 32-bit float color filters, you would not be having those issues with Prospect.

Last edited by David Newman; June 22nd, 2009 at 09:11 AM.
David Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2009, 12:01 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozan Biron View Post
We will not be turning on Filmscan 1 and Filmscan 2 modes in Neo Scene. For most Neo Scene customers this is not necessary. For those who need these quality modes you can upgrade to Neo HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ger Adrichem View Post
CineForm software does not convert 30p (29.97p) to 24p. CineForm's telecine removal feature converts 60i to 24p and also 24p-embedded-in-60i to 24p. 30p to 24p requires more sophisticated algorithms that we don't yet provide. Only a few software products offer this conversion, including After Effects.
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2009, 12:02 PM   #9
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ger Adrichem View Post
That is never an easy operation, and it not included in the conversion. use AE timewarp.
Old June 21st, 2009, 08:58 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Neo Scene does have the high quality levels, that is one of the product differences, so it will be added to the lower end tool.

The MOV handling of the 5D have been erratic, different versions QuickTime result if different output -- we believe the CineForm approach to be correct. Both images contain the same poor banding, so the failure is in you NLE / processing path. Do the same in a 16-bit or 32-bit mode under AE, and will not have the issue. 8-bit processing for color correction is simply not a good idea.

Note: this is a Prospect thread, Prospect natively uses 32-bit processing and has 32-bit float color filters, you would be have those issues with Prospect.
I did use the old version of prospect before i purchased neoscene. Neoscene is now what using for 5d footage conversion. Should i start another thread?

Hmmmm, both those images were done under AE in 16bit mode. For quicktime i think im using the lastest version which is 7.6.2... i could be wrong. Switching back and forth from 8bit to 16bits to 32bits using snap shot i didnt notice to much of a difference between the avi's and raw mov files. I'd love to use 32bit mode but some of my 3rd part filters are not supported at 32bits. The only thing i do notice is that the cineform converted avi files are less grainy compared the the raw mov. files form the 5d camera.

Since getting neoscene all my comps have been under 16bit mode.

As for me... my work flow is:

- convert 5d mov's with "high" quality mode selected... Files are converted to cineform avi's
- import and edit files in premiere
- import premier timeline into AE with comp set to 16bits mode
- finalize and export project

Is there something else that im doing wrong? Maybe my quicklime version sucks? Should i re-install it? I have tried and compared the same clips on shake system with one of the compositors who also works here... he has also noticed the same problem.

Last edited by Ozan Biron; June 21st, 2009 at 10:09 PM.
Ozan Biron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 09:24 AM   #11
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Ozan, Please discuss with support, could be a couple factors: not running the correcct importer, or simply your source is 8-bit. You will need to provide some source frame so we can determine the issue.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 12:49 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Ozan, Please discuss with support, could be a couple factors: not running the correcct importer, or simply your source is 8-bit. You will need to provide some source frame so we can determine the issue.
ight, will do. I'll post a ticket later on today after i do another test. BUt.....

Correct importer? Actually, now that u say that. I rember when i was using prospect... Each time i would open AE it would ask me about an cineform avi importer question. It had a clock that would count down giving me a choice of either "OK" or "cancel" for this session. Does this have anything to do with it?

Ive never notice it anymore once neoscene was installed. COuld this be the problem?

-

Last edited by Ozan Biron; June 22nd, 2009 at 07:25 PM.
Ozan Biron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 10:06 PM   #13
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Not for CS3, that pop-up should be dismissed, only really has impact in CS2 (AE7.0.) The clip should report as "Trillions" not millions of colors.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase