A few quick questions regarding Neo HD 64bit beta for Vegas and First Light at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old June 22nd, 2009, 10:19 PM   #1
Major Player

A few quick questions regarding Neo HD 64bit beta for Vegas and First Light

Hi, I'm considering upgrading from Neo HDV to Neo HD, but just want to be certain first that it will be worth my while.

Firstly the 64 beta codec of Neo HD for Vegas. If I ran this on Vista 64 along with the 64bit version of Vegas 9, would I still be able to run my old Neo HDV files on the timeline? Or would I need to convert them to Neo HD files using this 64bit beta codec?

Also, will First Light work with the 64bit codec? And if so, would HDV footage be good enough to capture with Neo HD and then tweak using First Light? I'm assuming it would, but just want to be sure.

One other question about First Light. Will gain adjustments and colour correction add much noise, or does the DeBeyer algorithm take care of most of that?
Old June 22nd, 2009, 10:30 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Old files are compatible. The 64-bit codec added compatibly to Vegas 9, but don't change the source format. First Light is a 32/64-bit app, it doesn't care either -- it works with all sources (converted to CineForm *.) No noise is "added" in First Light, but noise can be gained up (or down) just like any other color corrector. Debayer is only for CFA Bayer RAW source like SI-2K, Arri D21, etc.

* FirstLight does like CineForm created with later series codecs, v4.0 onwards is good. Old encoded file can be upgraded with the CFRepair utilies with the Tools folder.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 11:30 PM   #3
Major Player

That's great, thanks David. I'll probably upgrade sometime next week once this current job is out of the way.

Just one more question. With the Neo HD 10-bit files, would it be better to work in 8-bit or 32-bit colour space within Vegas?
Old June 22nd, 2009, 11:39 PM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Vegas only support 8-bit I/O from CineForm files. The 32-bit mode is still good for color correction work, although you have First Light to help there.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 01:22 AM   #5
Major Player

Yeah, that's what I thought which is fine. First Light is my main reason for wanting to make the switch to Neo HD. Being able to apply looks to a number of files should really speed up my work flow.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase