XP32 >WIN 7-64bit migration w/ LapLink PCmover - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old September 21st, 2009, 03:11 PM   #16
Major Player

Well, let's hope it's smooth and easy for you! I envy your possible easy upgrade, as I'll be doing a separate partition/fresh install and probably trying to do the LapLink thingie, just for fun.

I'll probably wait to see how much blood flows from others before taking the leap, however. This old buzzard is finally starting to get gun shy...just too many scars. Not enough free time to play a CS4/CFHD Prospect/Vista-like dance. When cries of "W7 victory" began to sound like a chorus, I'll add my screech to the new music and dance the W7-64 jig.
Old September 21st, 2009, 03:14 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Baggen View Post
It's my understanding that the retail release installation of Win 7 must be a fresh install from the Release Candidate version.

Would LapLink allow an in place installation in lieu of a completely fresh installation on a system with the RC version?
Marty, if it does, there'll be a long line waiting to download that little $19.95 prog! It does seem a possibility from their ad info:
PCmover is compatible for migrations from all versions of Windows (since Windows 95), and supports in-place upgrades from Windows 2000 through Windows 7, including 32-bit and 64-bit upgrades and migrations. Only PCmover automatically moves all settings, files, folders, applications, and more to a new PC. Pictures, videos, music, tax files, Internet favorites, documents, spreadsheets, games, and much more can all be moved automatically. Setting PCmover apart from any other solution is the ability to move applications, a capability no other tool provides.
Keep us posted if you find out anything more.
Old September 24th, 2009, 05:15 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Young View Post
Looking again at the press release, it looks like their focus is on upgrading XP, and Vista 32 to Win 7 64. My understanding is that these are indeed tricky & risky OS conversions. In my case I will be upgrading Vista 64 to Win 7 64, which has been billed by MS and others as a "no brainer".
We'll see about that.
It is plausable, since Win 7 is supposed to be just a streamlined/ refined version of Vista. So, the story goes, if you stay in the same class (Vista 32 Home Premium> Win 7 32 Home Premium; Vista 64 Home Premium> etc., etc...), the upgrade is supposed to be easy & quick. I've read a couple of reviews where the upgrade was easily done with the RC version- but none of the reviewers had NLE suites on board.
As is usual with this stuff, it will be a step into the unknown for each of us I'm sure.
Robert, I thought of you and your inplace upgrade when I read this, and thot I'd quote Videoguys to you:
"If you are currently running your NLE workstation under Vista64, you should have no problem migrating to Windows 7 once all your drivers are available. Just remember to do a clean install. Never install a new Windows operating system upgrade over an existing version of Windows. While it may work out, if anything goes wrong it will be a nightmare to troubleshoot and resolve."
that's from their website on making a DIY video workstation: Videoguys.com and Windows 7
Old September 24th, 2009, 05:01 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Armour View Post
Robert, I thought of you and your inplace upgrade when I read this, and thot I'd quote Videoguys to you:
"If you are currently running your NLE workstation under Vista64, you should have no problem migrating to Windows 7 once all your drivers are available. Just remember to do a clean install. Never install a new Windows operating system upgrade over an existing version of Windows. While it may work out, if anything goes wrong it will be a nightmare to troubleshoot and resolve."
that's from their website on making a DIY video workstation: Videoguys.com and Windows 7
I hear you.
My strategy is to first image my system drive, then do the update. If it works well- I'm set.
If it doesn't work well, I'll just restore the original image & be right back where I started & maybe consider a clean install on a new HD.
MS has an "upgrade analysis" tool for Win 7. It examines your system & software and warns of potential problems- I don't know how accurate it is, but it didn't pull any red flags on my current Vista 64 system.
Old September 24th, 2009, 05:30 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Young View Post
I hear you.
My strategy is to first image my system drive, then do the update. If it works well- I'm set.
If it doesn't work well, I'll just restore the original image & be right back where I started & maybe consider a clean install on a new HD.
MS has an "upgrade analysis" tool for Win 7. It examines your system & software and warns of potential problems- I don't know how accurate it is, but it didn't pull any red flags on my current Vista 64 system.
May your upgrade be a success and I trust you don't have to use that image. High 5's if the Win 7 goes in over your Vista without a murmur, I'll envy you greatly!

Meanwhile I'll wait to see how much blood is spilled over any recorded attempts to update via the LapLink thing. If it's not too much of a bloody mess, I'll probably try it on one 32-bit system. If that actually works fairly well afterwards, I might even try to update two more XP x64 workstations. Maybe.

If there are any real doubts, I'll just create new partitions, do clean installs on all systems and cry over all the programs I have to reload on them! Makes me weary just thinking about it...

Well, your Win 7 day is fast approaching.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase