upgrade path for Vegas 6 owners? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old May 2nd, 2005, 05:18 AM   #1
Major Player

upgrade path for Vegas 6 owners?

Hi, David!

Wow, I must really hand it to you - I had mucked around with the trial version of Cineform a few months back and it seemed a big sluggish on my very sluggish editing PC - now with Vegas 6, for my HDV stuff, it is a GODSEND... my editing system is still sub-par but Connect HD etc. seems now to work a lot better, etc. etc. So first of all, a big thank you!

I am wondering with updates happening to Cineform happening frequently - what is the upgrade path for users who only have Vegas 6? Can we visit the Cineform downloads and get the updates to "upgrade" the version that is with the current build of Vegas 6 as necessary? Or do we have to wait till the "latest" version of Cineform is bundled with a newer build of Vegas?

Hope the question is clear? Basically, I'm asking in a roundabout way if Vegas 6 owners can remain totally up-to-date on the Cineform side of things without having to, er, buy Cineform as a "separate" item...

Thanks!
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 10:14 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Unfortuately we don't yet have a codec only upgrade, as that it all Vegas 6 includes. I believe Sony is shipping a trial version of Connect HD with Vegas 6, that component is available for purchase. Connect HD as a separate product is less needed now that Vegas 6 includes the codec, yet it is still handly for PC capable of real-time capture with automatic conversion (only Connect HD's HDLink offers that.)

Thankyou for noticing the significant speed improvements of the CineForm codec under Vegas 6. Sony and CineForm worked together to make it work well even on much lower-end PCs than we support on other NLEs.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 10:46 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Sorry David, but your response was a bit confusing. I thought all of the Connect HD components were included in Vegas 6. Are you saying there are other features you can purchase. If so, where can you buy it and what does it add?
Ed Szarleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 11:02 AM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Vegas 6 doesn include the tool to automatically convert M2T data to CineForm Intermediate file during capture. Vegas 6 is a two step process, you capture to M2T, then convert to CineForm AVI if you want the editing to go faster. Although Sony may one day release the automatic conversion feature, today that is only present within the HDLink application that is purchased as part of Connect HD (from www.cineform.com.) In addition, the full license offers more quality controls and soon the ability to automatically convert the Cineframe 24 and 25 Sony cameras modes to 24p on the fly.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 12:19 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Understood, thanks. So just buy version 1.6 on your website that states it for Vegas 5?
Old May 2nd, 2005, 12:31 PM   #6
CTO, CineForm Inc.

That version will work fine.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 02:25 PM   #7
Regular Crew

ok, thanks for your time
Old May 25th, 2005, 01:33 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Real time m2t capture/conversion - system spec?

[QUOTE=David Newman] Connect HD as a separate product is less needed now that Vegas 6 includes the codec, yet it is still handly for PC capable of real-time capture with automatic conversion (only Connect HD's HDLink offers that.)

I'm a new owner of Vegas which I got for its HDV capability (I still have and use VT[4] for SD only work.)

What system specs would allow for real-time capture and auto conversion to the CF intermediate? I have a dual Xeon 2.8 GHz (each) and SCSI Raid 0. Should I expect no dropped frames in RT capture/conversion? And would this apply also to the highest quality setting for the intermediate?

Thanks
Old May 25th, 2005, 01:43 PM   #9
CTO, CineForm Inc.

You should never get dropped frames in the auto conversion, it just takes longer on slower PC. Most modern dual processor systems are real-time (1 to 1) or very near. This means capture and conversion to CineForm Intermediate takes about the same time to capture the tape without conversion. i.e. it is seamiless. You can download the trial to test for yourself. The capture/conversion time may vary up to 10% for the highest quality mode (so very little performance impact.)
Old May 25th, 2005, 02:01 PM   #10
Regular Crew

David, thanks for the prompt reply.

I'd love to try out Connect HD this way before buying. However, I was previously using the CFHD demo with a demo version Vegas 5. So when I tried installing HD Connect 1.6 from the Vegas 6 install CD I just purchased, I got a message saying the demo had expired. I don't think downloading the 1.6 demo would overcome this for another 15 days, would it?
Old May 25th, 2005, 02:36 PM   #11
CTO, CineForm Inc.

You are correct, downloading 1.6 again will not give you another 15-day trial peroid. However, we will have Connect HD 1.7 out within a couple of weeks, that will likely offer a new trial peroid (give you another 15-days.)
Old May 30th, 2005, 05:30 PM   #12
New Boot

David, what if we bought Connect HD through Sony? Currently I can only find 1.5 on their site. Do I have to wait for them to post updates, or can I install the ones from the Cineform site?

Aloha,

Gabe
Gabe Hoeffken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2005, 07:37 PM   #13
CTO, CineForm Inc.

I'll have to discuss this tomorrow when everyone is back at the office. There are small differences between the Sony and CineForm releases of Connect HD.
Old May 31st, 2005, 07:05 PM   #14
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Gabe, we will see about getting Sony updated, in the meantime please try the CineForm site for upgrades (I believe it should work fine.)
Old June 7th, 2005, 04:36 AM   #15
New Boot

Thanks for the reply. I have gone back to using Connect HD, and I have to say, it is much more pleasent to use on my under powered (2.8 P$) machine than Vegas 6 was. I look forward to playing w/ 1.7 when I return home.

Aloha,

Gabe
Gabe Hoeffken is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase