Set outpoint caputure/speed at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old July 3rd, 2005, 11:33 AM   #1
Major Player

Set outpoint caputure/speed

Question, I am caputuring a clip. I set the input to 0, the output to 33 minutes. The capture did not stop at 33 like it does in DV. Is this normal?
I had to esc to stop the capture.

When I did hit esc, I got the message that the AVI conversion was still going on, but was quite surprised to see there was still 16 minutes left. I have a dual xeon, 3.6 GHz, 2 M Cache which I thought was supposed to be closer to real time?

Dave
Dave Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2005, 12:03 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Yeh that sounds like a dual Xeon (although I would have expected a little better.) For a couple of reasons they really not perform as well as they should. A single dual core Pentium D will perform much better as does a dual Opteron. Xeon's have all the clock speed but no memory bandwidth -- the CPUs are simply starved for data. Pentium D and Opterons have over twice the memory bandwidth of Xeon -- as HD is big, this is far more important than L2 cache size. We are working to make our tools on Xeons run faster, simple because most customers incorrectly assume that Xeons are faster, we need to run well on the equipment people have.
Old July 6th, 2005, 03:50 PM   #3
Major Player

David, so, my xeons are 800FSB, and the spec for the Pentium D is also 800FSB. So, how is the memory use different?

Dave
Dave Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2005, 04:09 PM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

We all have learned in recent times that clock speeds are not everything, even Intel's own Pentium M at 2.0GHz out-performs most 3+GHz P4s for gaming style apps. Same goes for 800MHz FSB system, they are not all equal. Xeon's is significantly slower than P4 and even slower again than the new Pentium D. Memory through of the Pentium D is over twice that of the Xeon -- this just shows that we can't trust the specs.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase