Still image - bleak? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old June 22nd, 2005, 04:54 PM   #1
Trustee

Still image - bleak?

Hi, I can capture a still from aspect HD-powered PPro 151 timeline.

Adding this BMP still after the video frame it was captured from.

The still photo looks bleak (less contrasty) than the original video.

That's in the timeline.

On timeline render to video, both video and still parts seem not to be different in contrast now.

Now, what's the right way to export the still frame so it looks normal *in the timeline* ?
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2005, 05:49 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

:) I love when someone discovers a feature. OK, here is what is happening. Apsect HD and Prospect HD allows you to optionally handle higher dynamic range RGB -- this is on by default (called video system RGB.) The problem with the standard RGB Premiere uses is it clips some valuable whites and crushes the shadows from our HDV sources.

Tech note: HDV uses YUV compression which has an official range for 16 (black) to 235 (white), in standard RGB these in-turn map to 0 and 255. However most cameras record data below 16 and more importantly that capture data above 235, any use of standard RGB will clip these off (lost forever.) Fortunately CineForm products prevent this. ;)

Back to your problem. Creating a frame of RGB data (like a BMP export) from within Premiere, you need to turn off the video systems RGB mode, otherwise your black level will be non-zero and your white below 255. This has its applications, but you are expecting standard RGB. Once the frame is extracted you can turn video system RGB on again.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 09:02 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks David, I'll try that!
Old June 24th, 2005, 01:00 PM   #4
Trustee

I guess I don't understand. How do I turn it off? What do you mean? You lost me. Sorry.
Old June 24th, 2005, 02:38 PM   #5
CTO, CineForm Inc.

The control is within the "Playback Settings..." window. The check box is called "Use video systems RGB." This is the high-end part of Aspect HD, is it doing things to make your video look better without you know how. :)
Old June 24th, 2005, 03:55 PM   #6
Trustee

Works like a charm in the timeline! No more contrast differences between the video and the still.

I hope it also will *render* correctly.
Old June 24th, 2005, 04:04 PM   #7
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Yes it will render correctly. We assume all imported object into Premiere are computer graphics style RGB (cgRGB with black at 0.) There is a complex set of rules that allows Aspect HD to mix cgRGB with vsRGB segments -- all aimed at achieving the highest quality output.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase