Maximum size of still image at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old June 25th, 2005, 12:34 PM   #1
Trustee

Maximum size of still image

PPro 151 with AHD 3.1: sometimes imported still images play as part of real-time NLE preview, and sometimes they do not.

Seems like if I import a 1920x1080 square pix image, then it does not play - instead, a black screen is displayed for its' duration, with the red X in the upper left corner - an indication that real-time processing was not possible... despite the fact that NO effects were applied to the still...

Same image 1440x865 seems to play fine in real time on the timeline.

But it does not take up all screen, obviously.

So... how do I make a still that is of the project's resolution (1920x1080), AND that would show up in the real-time playback of the timeline?

Last edited by Alex Raskin; June 25th, 2005 at 12:57 PM.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2005, 08:17 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Raskin
PPro 151 with AHD 3.1: sometimes imported still images play as part of real-time NLE preview, and sometimes they do not.

Seems like if I import a 1920x1080 square pix image, then it does not play - instead, a black screen is displayed for its' duration, with the red X in the upper left corner - an indication that real-time processing was not possible... despite the fact that NO effects were applied to the still...

Same image 1440x865 seems to play fine in real time on the timeline.

But it does not take up all screen, obviously.

So... how do I make a still that is of the project's resolution (1920x1080), AND that would show up in the real-time playback of the timeline?
I'd assume (and we all know what that can do :) ) that you need to create a 1440x1080 still with a pixel aspect ratio of 1.3333

I do nearly all my editing in Vegas, and while I have integrated some still image stuff into my Vegas HDV projects, I can't say I've encountered the 'side-effect' you've encountered. Some of the FX-1e stills I've 're-integrated' were captured to *.png, opened and adjusted in Photoshop, saved as *.png with interlacing left intact and used back in Vegas for transitions...

Anywayz, if none of my ramblings solves the problem, try taking a frame grab from your HDV clip - open the grab in Photoshop, and check the Image Properties... that should give a clue to your particular still image requirements.
Steve Crisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2005, 09:44 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Here is what I do with large digital stills. I made a custom rectangular marquee tool with a fixed aspect ratio of 1.778 to 1 (16:9) and use that to select the areas I want(too bad crop tool won't let you have a crop tool based on aspect) to have in the video. I don't select less than 1920x1080 square pixels(you can but you are going to have to upres to get where you want) and generally take as much as the still will give. Make a new pic out of that and resize it to 1440x1080 with constrained properties unchecked. Ppro and Edius both see them fine and they are seen as 1.33 par so the output display of 1920x1080 is perfect. And they play RT in both. I do have a fixed crop tool that does takes as much as my still camera will give in 16:9 and it is a handy tool as well but the size of that tool will depend on what your camera gives in resolution.
Randy Donato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2005, 06:42 AM   #4
Trustee

Thanks to all!

I did notice that 1440x1080 1.333 image does look fine and play well in AHD timeline, but I was confused by the fact that you can *also* import any image with *square* pixel aspect, without changing its proportions first, and it still will look fine in the timeline. It just won't play in RT if it's 1920x1080 size.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2005, 10:09 AM   #5
CTO, CineForm Inc.

That might be a rule we can change, so I'll put it in the feature request list.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase