If you're not using Win 7 x64, you should be! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old April 22nd, 2010, 12:24 PM   #16
Major Player

Stephen... you're starting to scare me. I don't know if DVinfo has a "vintage" forum, but you would make a helluva moderator.

Continuing with your theme... I was able to install an unsupported TASCAM US-122 audio interface to my Win7 system. I let the OS solve the issues, and after a few tries, viola'... the unit works perfectly. The only drawback is a failure of the system to shut down while the TASCAM is connected.

So is your strategy to creep up on CS5 and get the upgrade, then measure your performance with existing hardware?

If only Win7 could be jammed into a Commodore 64, we could have the most economical CS5 platform ever!!

Okay..... Stephen..... Stephen, I'm kidding... just kidding............ don't log onto eBay Stephen!
Marty Baggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 02:17 PM   #17
Major Player

Must be all those old, rotting, northwestern woodchips still stuck in my brain Marty! Either that, or the long "Noah" beard and itty bittie ponytail I've been trying to grow out for a old buzzard part in our next production!

BTW, I tried to find that Audigy 2 board...but had thrown it away.. sigh. Now I'll never really know... (I dIdn't have the time to screw around with it anyway...just wanted to thumb my nose at the bleeding edgers. I was one for too many years. Probably really still am one at heart, but my resources just don't keep pace anymore, nor does my need for stable, functioning workstations for our team.

I'd be a lousy moderator for a legacy forum anyhow. Too much "outside the box" in me! Although...come to think of it, maybe we've still got that old Pinnacle DV1000 board around here somewhere...maybe we could....

("So is your strategy to creep up on CS5 and get the upgrade, then measure your performance with existing hardware?" Exactly. Don't jump unless the water's fine and you KNOW there's no rocks or alligators...I've been in the jungle too long for that. As to the C-64 idea, my brother would love you for that! His only home computer for years was one, yet he used big iron at work everyday worth millions of dollars. A true geek.)
Old April 22nd, 2010, 04:09 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Avid composer 4 with windows 7

Thank you very much for your time Stephen Armour. I’m still wondering if you agree with those who says that Avid Media Composer 4 works just fine also with windows 7 x64bit, even if Avid don’t recognize that fact, I’ve looked at it at Avid’s site and it Windows 7 is not officially supported by Avid.
Do you recommend windows 7 64 bit with MC4 anyway.
Thank you
Samer Aslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 08:10 PM   #19
Major Player

Sorry Samer, I didn't comment as we don't use it. Best way to find out is to load it on a trial version (separate drive or partition) and try it. Then you won't need second opinions, but can give it to the rest of us firsthand.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 08:00 AM   #20
Major Player

Robert & Stephen,

thank you!
I'm on the "conservative/safe" side of the divide as well,
so I think I'll do as Stephen suggested.
The possibility of ending up with a really quick and rock-solid CS3/PHD4/Win7
combination is soooo tempting, I'll have to give it a shot...

All the best

Vasco
Old April 23rd, 2010, 10:28 AM   #21
Major Player

Here are my comments on Win 7 64 bit. I have converted three computers from XP 32 bit, including my editing system, and the experience has been outstanding. I'm in the camp of recommending Win 7 64 bit to everyone currently running XP or Vista. My editing system is a Q6600 with 8GB, Win 7 64 bit, CS4 and Prospect HD. I've run this several weeks now with Win 7 and it has been very stable, a real pleasure.

Win 7 is great, it finds updates and drivers for essentially everything all by itself and the installations go very quickly. Buy contrast I also did an XP installation recently and it took many hours to get it all going.

Win 7 isn't perfect and I had a problem on one system. I had been having some problems with an on board eSATA controller even with XP; Win 7 found the new and correct driver but it turned out that driver wasn't 100% compatible with the BIOS so the eSATA didn't work properly, and it took quite a bit of time to sort that out. But that is the only glitch I've had with three installations.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 11:03 AM   #22
Major Player

Charles... ditto on the eSATA issue. Rather than fight it, I picked up a controller card and sidestepped the problem.
Marty Baggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 01:52 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Baggen View Post
Charles... ditto on the eSATA issue. Rather than fight it, I picked up a controller card and sidestepped the problem.
That's what I ended up doing but I wasn't smart enough to do it right away. I got the LaCie eSATA PCI Express Card which is 3Gbits/sec instead of the 1.5Gbits/sec off the motherboard, so I ended up ahead.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase