If you're not using Win 7 x64, you should be! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old April 20th, 2010, 05:47 PM   #1
Major Player

If you're not using Win 7 x64, you should be!

To any CF users out there, hanging back from updating to Win 7 x64. This is definitely a big plug.

I've used (and suffered with) every operating system Microsoft has had from DOS 2 onward. This year makes 25 years of staring at computer screens for me, with close to 20 of them doing video on PCs (lot of suffering there, believe me!).

In all my years of computing, I have never seen a better PC-based OS than Windows 7 x64. Bar none. It is the most stable, most capable OS I have ever seen, period. I never cease to be amazed at it's capability to load and run even old legacy software, and better than it was ever run previously, yet run the latest and greatest like a Ferrari.

Our Gigabit network of 3 editing (mix of CS3/4) workstations with Prospect HD 4-soon-to-be-NEO 4K, and assorted other systems, can now smoothly play full HD across the network without a burp, and transfer HUGE files at very close to the full speed of our Gb connection, with no problems. That's 934 Mbps sustained over a regular ole TCP-IP connection with not a glitch to this date.

So just a word of wisdom: Don't screw around! Get Win 7 x64 for your PC-based editing if your hardware supports it.

You'll thank yourself if you do.

PS. If CS5 comes even fairly close to matching Win7 x64 in overall performance, stability and usability, we will be entering into a golden age for editors/content creators!
Old April 20th, 2010, 07:08 PM   #2
Trustee

I totally agree with Stephen.
I did a clean install of Win7 64 on my Vista 64/i7/CS4 machine and it has been the best move ever.
Win 7 64 is very fast, stable, and seems to be loaded with features that catch & resolve software glitches as they arise, instead of rolling over and playing dead like Vista.
My Vista 64 system actually worked pretty well, but there were many, many nusiance issues. Even simple stuff like booting the computer- it was turn it on- then go make coffee, get the coffee, make a phone call or two, then back to the workstation and maybe it's ready to roll.
It's all gone in Win7.
If CS5 and Neo 5 really deliver on the promises, it's going to be a new world of video production :-)
Fingers crossed!!
Old April 21st, 2010, 03:38 PM   #3
Major Player

Stephen and Robert,

believe it or not, my Vista32 w/ CS3 works pretty well, now :-)
but unfortunately your reviews of Win7 64 make me salivate.
Hence a question for you:
do you think 4GB of RAM would be enough for
a Win7 64 & CS3 combination to work?
(I'm currently pretty short on $$$ and cannot upgrade the RAM;
the machine is OK, runs on a Xeon quad core E5430;
I suspect the bottleneck might be the RAM...)

Thanks in advance for your answers
All the best

vasco
Old April 21st, 2010, 04:34 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Good workflow for cs4 & composer 4

Hi, what do you think about this configuration of computer I ‘am about to buy in order to edit with my pmw-350 xdcam ex and nano flash:
Vista Business 64bit
NVIDIA QUADRO FX3800 1GB DDR3
Motherboard ASUS P6T DELUXE
INTEL CORE I7 960 PROCCESSORE 3,2 GHZ
12 GIGA RAM
WD SATA2 500GB 7200 RPM HARD DISK System
2 X WD SATA2 1000GB 7200RPM RAID
MASTERIZZATORE BLU RAY LG
MATERIZZATORE DVD/CD SEMPRE LG
Blackmagic Design - Intensity Pro

I will be using:
Avid Media Composer v4.0.5
Adobe Premiere CS4
I will be editing with SD and Hd.
P.S :does media composer v4.0.5 supports windows 7 just like cs4
Thanks
S
Samer Aslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 05:35 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samer Aslan View Post
Hi, what do you think about this configuration of computer I ‘am about to buy in order to edit with my pmw-350 xdcam ex and nano flash:
Vista Business 64bit
NVIDIA QUADRO FX3800 1GB DDR3
Motherboard ASUS P6T DELUXE
INTEL CORE I7 960 PROCCESSORE 3,2 GHZ
12 GIGA RAM
WD SATA2 500GB 7200 RPM HARD DISK System
2 X WD SATA2 1000GB 7200RPM RAID
MASTERIZZATORE BLU RAY LG
MATERIZZATORE DVD/CD SEMPRE LG
Blackmagic Design - Intensity Pro

I will be using:
Avid Media Composer v4.0.5
Adobe Premiere CS4
I will be editing with SD and Hd.
P.S :does media composer v4.0.5 supports windows 7 just like cs4
Thanks
S
Sounds like a better system for CS5! That upgrade should really fly with your configuration!

Only 2 things I'd do different. One is your boot drive. Forget the slower 500 GB and go for the bigger and faster TB drive. Price is not much more and they really are faster.

Also, if you don't have a good backup system, consider adding another 2 TB drive to mirror your RAID 0. You'll thank yourself if you do. We mirror both our boot drive and data drives onto separate drives. If it crashes, you've saved yourself some bitter tears and many hours of work. We still use MirrorFolder on our systems to do this, and it's working quite nicely with Win7 x64.

I'm sure some of the other guys here probably have suggestions too.
Old April 21st, 2010, 05:47 PM   #6
Major Player

system triple posted...Hey Chris, you've got some probs here I think!

Last edited by Stephen Armour; April 21st, 2010 at 05:54 PM. Reason: system triple posted...
Stephen Armour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 05:50 PM   #7
Major Player

...system double posted

Last edited by Stephen Armour; April 21st, 2010 at 05:51 PM. Reason: system double posted it...
Stephen Armour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 05:58 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco Dones View Post
Stephen and Robert,

believe it or not, my Vista32 w/ CS3 works pretty well, now :-)
but unfortunately your reviews of Win7 64 make me salivate.
Hence a question for you:
do you think 4GB of RAM would be enough for
a Win7 64 & CS3 combination to work?
(I'm currently pretty short on $$$ and cannot upgrade the RAM;
the machine is OK, runs on a Xeon quad core E5430;
I suspect the bottleneck might be the RAM...)

Thanks in advance for your answers
All the best

vasco
Vasco, one of the workstations we updated is a legacy Intel board (D975XBX2) with a Q6600 and only 4 GB RAM. It is also running CS3, and though Intel officially doesn't support that board under Win 7x64 (or any Win 7...), after a bit of tweaking it's been running things great! That's one of the reasons I'm so impressed. I'm a hands on person, so I'm usually messing with something to make things run faster, but seriously, this is a winner of an OS.

I plugged in an old USB webcam the other day that I had been unable anymore to get to run under ANY OS (no drivers anywhere) before I threw it away. Lo and behold, after a while grinding around and looking, Win7 found drivers for it and it's working perfectly! I had to pick my jaw up off the ground on that one!

Since we usually build our own systems, I sometimes push things pretty hard in testing, and though I've
blue-screened Win7 x64 about three times on our systems, it's always been running questionable legacy hardware or tweaking beyond the limits. To Win7 x64's credit, it's always started back up without a whimper.

I am not a MS fan, as I've suffered too much with their OS's in the past, but this time I have to say, they finally did it right. If they don't screw it up with some stupid Service Pack (like the one they're working on...), we'll have a few years of relative peace in our constant PC turmoil.

As to updating your Vista, I hate to say for you to mess with a good working system, but the way Win 7 x64 handles memory is certainly more efficient. If you try it out, do a clean install on a separate partition or disk (yeah, you can use the Win 7 upgrade version disk and "upgrade it" legally, no matter what some say. I've done it repeatedly by phone). That way you have a clean slate and can load only what you need. Biggest hassle is reloading everything, but believe me, it was worth to us and no one will even look back or boot the old 32bit session now! The pluses outweigh the negatives of all the diddling around to get things back up and going.

Plus, if we want to try to fly CS5 on that old legacy system, it's a no-brainer. And, if we plug in a big-gun Quadro board with it, it'll still run circles around anything we have now...and we can still upgrade it to 8 MB RAM!

Cineform ties it all together no matter how you do it. It's a win-win situation.
Old April 21st, 2010, 06:43 PM   #9
Major Player

Stephen,

thank you so much for your time and expertise!
I'm tempted, really tempted.
Yesss, I think I'll give it a try in a not too distant future...

BTW, Stephen, on a different note:
thank you also for reminding Cineform (in one of your previous posts)
about the existence of rather "conservative and cash-strapped" people
not particularly eager to switch to CS5 (I also avoided CS4 completely),
who would therefore very much appreciate clear information
regarding the backwards compatibility (or whatever it's called: sorry for my English)
of the new Neo line of products...
(I love my Prospect HD, I learned how to peacefully coexist with CS3 & Vista32,
and the last thing I need now is a major you-know-what...)
Well..., but we're all having fun, after all, aren't we?

Thanks again, Stephen
All the best

Vasco
Old April 22nd, 2010, 12:49 AM   #10
Trustee

Vasco, here's a thought-
If you are happy and have no problems with Vista 32/CS3/PHD4, how could it get better than that??
To me, it sounds like a winner to just keep doing what you are doing for a while and save the $$$$.
We all tend to get caught up in the technology, sometimes just for the technology's sake- but at the end of the day, the whole NLE- software, hardware, the works- is just a tool to do a job... like a screwdriver.
If what you have is doing a good job, why mess with it?? :)
Old April 22nd, 2010, 08:06 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Well, decided to give Windows 7 64 bit a try... installed OEM Ultimate on a new 600GB drive yesterday.

Upon its first boot everything sorta seemed ok... got on the internet.. and all seemed well, then I noticed
I didn't have any sound from the sound blaster and the bluray drive was thrashing itself away....

looked for solutions on getting the sound blaster working... nothing worked so far...

downloaded a bluray player to get it going... nothing.... the drawer was even having a hard time opening
and closing.. its a Pioneer Bluray...

I had to get some work done so I pulled the drive out and put in the old one... I''ll work on it later :-(

I guess if I would have pulled the bluray drive and the soundblaster card out, it most likely would have worked.. ????

has anyone gone the upgrade route... where you have Vista and used the upgrade Win7 ??? is that
easier or are you now chasing issues that it caused with your hardware/software???
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 09:02 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
...I guess if I would have pulled the bluray drive and the soundblaster card out, it most likely would have worked.. ????

has anyone gone the upgrade route... where you have Vista and used the upgrade Win7 ??? is that
easier or are you now chasing issues that it caused with your hardware/software???
Sorry to hear of your probs, Ray. It's the pits to not have things up and running first off, but keep trying when you get a chance.

On our older Intel board, I had to diddle around too, and ended up using a new graphics card. Sound was a prob on several systems, but when I finally got rid of all the drivers for the offending hardware and booted several times, letting Win 7 find the "right" drivers, everything finally sorted itself out. I did boot them several times without audio, then went back and let Win 7 "find" it's own solutions.

Sound Blaster seems to have caused quite a bit of trouble for MS with this new OS version, but I wouldn't think your Pioneer BR drive would. You might try yanking both the drive and sound board first, then if it boots normally, put the drive back in and boot. If it's normal, the sound board might be screwing up the BR drive under Win7's automatic IRQ selection. I dimly remember reading something about that somewhere...

It's not always the best way to resolve probs (and certainly not the way I usually do it) but it seemed to work for us this time. Computers are stupid and after 25 yrs of suffering with them, it's very hard for me to trust some programmer to do it right and chose what it really needs. But, at least with our Intel and Gigabyte boards we've had Win 7 get things right.

We "upgraded", but not from Vista (XP x64). What MS doesn't tell people, is that they can "upgrade" to Win 7 x64 (with the upgrade disk) from XP and it seems they can from just about any Windows version. I guess they want to charge you for the full version, even if you are doing a "same system clean install" upgrade, so they just keep it kind of quiet? I read that online and tried it and it's true. It saved us hundreds of dollars in the end.

Hope you get that new Win7-64 going without too much more hassle. If you can get things sorted out, you'll probably never look back at Vista again.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 09:16 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Young View Post
Vasco, here's a thought-
If you are happy and have no problems with Vista 32/CS3/PHD4, how could it get better than that??
To me, it sounds like a winner to just keep doing what you are doing for a while and save the $$$$.
We all tend to get caught up in the technology, sometimes just for the technology's sake- but at the end of the day, the whole NLE- software, hardware, the works- is just a tool to do a job... like a screwdriver.
If what you have is doing a good job, why mess with it?? :)
I'm with you Robert...partially. I say the same thing for the first part: Vasco, don't screw up your system if it's working fine, it's just not worth it. But..if you've got a free partition or drive, you can borrow a Win7 disk from someone (or download it?) just to try it out for the 30 day period and see if it's worth the upgrade price to you.

Cost and risk right now? Just some of your time, with the possibility you'll find it's well worth the hassle and cost. Risk? Pretty much zero...if you use a separate drive or partition. I agree on the conservative-cost effective part.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 11:22 AM   #14
Trustee

I got my old Soundblaster Live running on Win 7 using Kx Project drivers: Official kX Project Site -- News
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 12:17 PM   #15
Major Player

Wow, how cool is that, Graham!

I may dig out an old Audigy 2 card I still might have in the junk boxes, just to see it work again! I loved that card! We pumped an awesome "God voice" we created through it, to blast down 13 stories real late on dark nights to scare a few hapless victims on the street! We turned off all the lights in the office we were renting, and stuck some big speakers out the windows and aimed them below. It was awesome!

That's what bored editors did in those days when we worked too late at night and were getting sleepy.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase