HDLink Problems at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old August 2nd, 2010, 06:57 AM   #1
New Boot

HDLink Problems

I have been having lots of problems with HDLink to capture and convert m2t files from Sony HDR-HC1 cameras. I have been working with support but still don't have a solution after several weeks.

One problem was HDLink creating lots of extra files in strange locations such as the C: drive. This would eventually fill up the drive and kill everything. Part, but not all of the problem, seems related to dropouts on the tape. Thus I switched from HDLink to HDVSplit to capture segments and then convert with HDLink. Even then, HDLink sometimes starts acting strange.

A new problem is that HDLink convert creates double wide files with left and right halves being identical. This seems to happen after First Light has been used. It happened first on my laptop but the desktop would correctly convert the same file (that is, until after I used First Light). Now both computers are affected. I have a ticket in to support but it takes days for a response. In an attempt to fix, I downloaded and installed the newest version of Neo4K thinking everything would have a fresh start. I still get the double wide converts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
David Tiede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2010, 07:32 AM   #2
New Boot

Newest Neo4K Test

I just noticed a post about an interim build for Neo4K. I installed this version. The double wide HDLink convert problem still remains.

I am using Adobe Creative Suite 5 on a Dell T3500 workstation running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit with 12 GB of RAM.

I have about 12 hours of 3D video from a trip to China that I wish to edit. I am looking forward to using the latest tools from Cineform once the problems are resolved.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 09:00 AM   #3
CTO, CineForm Inc.

You will need to send image example to support. In the meantime, set the "C" icon, the CineForm Status Viewer in the system tray to left only. If it is set to left, set it to right, then back to left. Then repeat you tests. I'm only guess it the 3D mode has been set to an unsupported value.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 10:09 AM   #4
New Boot

More Experiments

Well, I have done some more experiments.

I moved the Status Viewer to the left and to the right and back to the left. It had no effect on the dual width convert using Neo4K HDLink for any of the positions.

I tried installing ProspectHD v4.09. HDLink worked! I input left and right files into latest version of StereoMovie Maker. It easily performed temporal and auto alignment, but when I saved as left and right Cineform files (different codec number than under Neo4K), they were not playable under Windows Media Player. Previous Cineform files created by Neo4K HDLink, aligned by SMM, were playable.

Retried experiment using Neo4K 5.0.7.266, still problem with dual width convert.

I sent sample files to support
Old August 6th, 2010, 01:27 PM   #5
New Boot

Double Wide Solution

In turns out the reason for double wide images was the Cineform Active Metadata Status Viewer was set to display that mode. Thus, it was operator error. The way it works is it kicks in AFTER the play button is pushed. This was solved with help from Technical Support.

The other problem with extra file creation, while not completely understood by me, seems to have been related to a combination of drop outs on the DV tape with output to a slow external USB drive. I think I have only had one such problem since writing to a faster internal drive. The other half of the solution was to use HDVSplit rather than HDLink to capture to m2t files first and then convert to CFHDV files using HDLink. HDVSplit would break at a drop out but could be started up again from that point to continue capturing the rest of the data. If HDLink breaks, it can not be started up again so easily. Another possible cause for a decrease in the extra file creation problem was a newer version of Neo4K.

Another new learning for a novice user is that whenever an extra file would pop up in the output, it was shown in the HDLink window so that I could stop the process immediately. Not only that, but it is possible to right click on the extra file name and have it's location revealed. Previously, I had to look for the files by a manual search method. It was never consistent where the files would show up.

The only thing pending for me now is to learn how to import 3D stereo pairs into PPro CS5 and allow them to be simultaneously panned and zoomed together as a single S3D object.
David Tiede is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase