Window Neo Series v5.1.1 is out - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old August 31st, 2010, 01:16 PM   #31
Regular Crew

A big issue with neo4k 5.1.1b270a

On CS3 when opening an existing project, i get a green screen on record window and the red line on the timeline for the entire project. no scrubing available.
reverse back to 5.1.0 and everything seems to be ok.

i will stay with 5.1.0 for a moment... what a big stress!
i will investigate later what's going on and if it's only on my system.
Cedric Pottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 01:33 PM   #32
Trustee

I am a fan and a friend of Cineform. Invested a lot of money in their products (starting with Aspect HD) and upgrades, and am very happy with the results.

Having said that... as a friend, I have to say that maybe it would be better to hold releasing new features until existing product is perfected.

Cineform for CS5 was said to be largely trouble-free, since CS5 itself is a much better release than previous iterations. In reality, I cannot even use the Cineform RT mode in premiere CS5 as I did, say, in Premiere 2.0.

David and the gang: you guys are brilliant. Please do consider better quality control of all your new releases though.

Oh, and why still no drag-and-drop ability in HDlink Convert view? This issue grew a long beard already ;)
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 03:32 PM   #33
Regular Crew

I have not had any problems ediitng on cs5 with Cineform, it works fine. There are a few slight issues I found but these are nothing major to stop me working.

Cineform have a great with a fast and amazing quality visual work-flow. Cineform have always been open to their customers, about issues.

Saying about quality control, this only sounds like its being said because David had to fix NEO4k, also David did this fix on a Sunday a few hours after being notified, how many companies do this!?

I think people are giving them a hard time of all of a sudden and the issues brought up are not stopping most people with workflows.
Leo Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 03:34 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Also CS3 is over 3 years old, CIneform have been relaly good supporting the older software when CS5 is out and 1000 times better, more stable and flexible then cs3.
Old August 31st, 2010, 05:29 PM   #35
Major Player

CS3 may be old... but the Cineform products are, and were, sold as being compatible with it, and many people bought their Cineform products when CS3 was the latest and greatest release. CS3 had (and still has) problems, but so do the Cineform products. We've had stable releases from Cineform, but we've also had releases which were seriously "broken."

Thankfully, the guys at Cineform generally do a really good job at fixing bugs, but it is a little annoying to have such a moving target, where a release works, but an update breaks the product. For example, not being able to edit any of my existing projects, or create a new Cineform project because the presets no longer load, is a major pain. Jake is working with me to get my problem solved, even going as far as to do a remote access session to see if he can see what's going on. Hopefully we'll resolve this issue very soon.
Julian Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 06:07 PM   #36
Regular Crew

Hello,

I was on cs3 until recently but the Adobe bugs made me upgrade to cs5. As I was always getting out of memory errors under 64 bit with cs3 and annoying crashes.

Cineform worked nicely but always the worry that an update may break things.

So when I had a working setup I cloned that disc in case of any issues. What about a previous build can you roll back when your projects were opening and you could edit? Nothing more annoying then not being able to get into a project.

I was scared about upgrading to cs5 incase the situation was more crashes then before and a whole new set of issues.

Thankfuly things are going great on Windows 64bit with cs5 and Cineform. Maybe it's the 64bit and newer updates.

Leo
Old August 31st, 2010, 07:40 PM   #37
Major Player

Just a bit of a grump to add to the mix here. We're long time CF users, with a mix of workstations using CS3 and CS5. We had to go back to the previous release, as this 5.1.1 just has too many bugs and quirks.

Sorry I don't have the time to lay them out, but they are there and are real. It all started with a poorly loading updater and got worse. A roll-back cleared it all up again, so we'll wait for sunnier days and edit as usual until then.
Old August 31st, 2010, 08:28 PM   #38
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Please report bugs to support, so they can be fixed in the next version; don't say they are there and not tell anyone the particulars. 5.1.1 is actually mostly same code as 5.1.0 but we were forced do to update to the developer tools -- most of the issues are related to missing DLLs that the new tools are needing on some installs. The new dev tools will mean faster code and more efficient development, but a rough patch during the change over. Things are being fixed fast as they are reported. We will likely do a release with some extra microsoft DLLs that solve most on the odd issues.
Old September 1st, 2010, 04:50 AM   #39
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Raskin View Post
I am a fan and a friend of Cineform. Invested a lot of money in their products (starting with Aspect HD) and upgrades, and am very happy with the results.

Having said that... as a friend, I have to say that maybe it would be better to hold releasing new features until existing product is perfected.

Cineform for CS5 was said to be largely trouble-free, since CS5 itself is a much better release than previous iterations. In reality, I cannot even use the Cineform RT mode in premiere CS5 as I did, say, in Premiere 2.0.

David and the gang: you guys are brilliant. Please do consider better quality control of all your new releases though.

Oh, and why still no drag-and-drop ability in HDlink Convert view? This issue grew a long beard already ;)
Alex already said it pretty well in his quote above.

Installation "bugs" are often not really bugs, they can also reflect poor quality control before release. Your new "value added features" are usually welcome, but should never be at the expense of stability or normal function.

I would venture that most of us using this forum don't have the luxury of "testing" machines laying around, but are usually in the middle of productions when updating. Most are probably like us and have little time to try to figure out WHY or WHERE something is broken, or to even communicate that fact! We just want and need stable systems to get us to the next deadline relatively unscathed! In our mostly-Windows-world, just that is a big challenge in of itself. Usually when a new update goes wrong, we don't have time to figure out why or where, but thankfully have the rollbacks to earlier stable versions to fall back upon. Sometimes people are "in between" productions and can take precious time to work with your support to figure out where things went wrong....but often that is not the case. If we go back to the buggy version, we risk losing everything or damaging something beyond repair, so it's often just not worth it.
Old September 1st, 2010, 09:06 AM   #40
CTO, CineForm Inc.

We always said not to upgrade mid-project, this is should be a habit for anyone's product.

As for quality control, part of our charm is we release new features when there are added, we don't wait 18 months for beta testing and collection a bunch of new features at once. I don't think we will be changing this as generally people like it. The downside is, don't update mid-project -- it is reasonable trade-off.

While we should have done our regular 7 day beta window, and we will return to doing that, we choose to released this version as soon as we could as is much more stable, we had some key intel from Adobe to fix a recurring Premiere CS5 crash.

Now back to addressing the problems you are having to get them solved in the next build -- please file clear bug reports with support.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 03:00 PM   #41
Regular Crew

Need the NEO 4K 5.1.0, where can i find it?

Hello

I need the NEO 4K 5.1.0, where can i find it?

Regards
Mikael
Mikael Bergstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 04:22 PM   #42
Regular Crew

Hello Mikael,

Update to NEO 4K v5.10 Build 268: http://www.cineform.com/downloads/Ne...268-100810.zip

Leo
Leo Baker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase